This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

I just finished enrolling in classes for my last semester of college. That makes me feel so many things; relief, nervous, scared, happy and most importantly I feel old. My high school teacher once told me that if you think senior year of high school feels too short, wait for college; it’ll be over in a blink. I hate to say it, but it’s true and sometimes I’m still in awe that I’m graduating college in a few months. Am I even ready for corporate America? 

With graduation looming this close, I’m sure most if my fellow seniors are also being bombarded with questions about their plans post-graduation. It’s like an interrogation that doesn’t end; starting with your counselors, parents and even your neighbors.

Unfortunately, or fortunately I don’t have any plans. I know what career I ultimately do want but no I don’t have a job, or an internship lined up. I don’t know my next move and that might seem scary but it’s also very liberating. For the first time in 8 years, I’ll have some time to try out different things without having to worry about failing. I know for some people that’s not a feasible choice or decision but know there’s no one way to do something. You’re free to make your own choices at whatever point in your life you choose to. So just make sure these are your choices and always remember your health and happiness matters the most. 

For the past few months whenever someone asked me what I want to be doing for the next year, I always just said I want to breathe and just do everything I was scared to do in the past few years. I don’t want to write down or set up my plans because I want things to unfold on their own. Yes, I will work on my ambitions and career, but I also hope not to beat myself up since I guess we all do it to a larger extent in high school and college. Most importantly, we should not worry about comparing our journey with someone else’s, it’s our chance to make our own path. 

So, if you’re in the same boat as I am, I hope this gave you a little relief knowing you’re not the only one. It’s not about having plans, it about believing in yourself to succeed and be happy without any. 

Rushnan Islam

Stony Brook '20

Rushnan is currently a senior Biology major at Stony Brook University. She loves coffee, books, writing, and city-hopping (in that order)!
Cece Cruz

Stony Brook '21

President/Editor-in-Chief here at the Her Campus Stony Brook Chapter! I joined Her Campus in Spring 2018 as a Junior Writer and I am currently majoring in Journalism with a minor in Political Science. My personality is somewhere between Rachel Green and Phoebe Buffay. I call that balance. In my free time you can find me doing... I'm a college student, if I appear to have any free time I'm probably procrastinating.