sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

Port Royal Rides a New Wave

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

The once famed ‘city of pirates’ has now become a hotspot yet again! For ships that will sail the high seas and dock in our ports, but this time instead of pirates, tourists will come ashore. To embark on adventures throughout the town; sightseeing the ports, water sports activities, and the house that makes you feel ‘Giddy’ due to its lopsided structure. At the end of an eventful day, one can eat from the best seafood restaurant on the island; Gloria’s Rendezvous. 

Port Royal was once the largest city in the Caribbean, but due to an overly devastating earthquake and subsequent tsunami, 66 percent of the city lies under the sea. Some say it was divine retribution for being the “wickedest city on Earth ” with its wealthy attributes (mostly illegal), loose morals, and overall sinful ways. Movies romanticized the events that took place in the 17th century such as Pirates of the Caribbean which places Port Royal, Jamaica in its midst. Where scallywags abounded our shores searching for buried treasure while pillaging the towns. Though mysterious and exciting, the movie blurred the lines of factual events. 

Fortunately what’s left of it still stands to tell the tales well over 500 years old. The locals being the proprietors of these stories will depart their versions of it to visitors both near and far. The time capsule of a city displays its architectural treasures of such historical importance to everyone that sets foot on our shores. Surely, leaving viewers with stunning reviews, making it a top rated travel ‘must see’. 

The air of mystery and fascination surrounding the village makes it incredibly popular. This area serves as a landmark for a beautiful, historical destination to learn about our past,  make new memories with family and friends, and create meaningful bonds with the island itself. The first ship is slated to have docked in January 2020 and the rest will follow as the year progresses which promises to be an eventful one for the town of Port Royal.

Shanice Neita

Stony Brook '25

Shanice Neita is a dedicated student at StonyBrook University currently within her first year as a transfer student from Kingston, Jamaica. She enjoys all that is artistic; whether music, dance, poetry or drama she loves to read and write about it. As a writer she created her own blog 'DancerGirl' to work as an advocate for those in the creative industry in Jamaica. Her blog aims to elevate the stereotypes of Jamaican artists as lazy, irreverent and lacking professional stature. Her dream is to write for a top magazine in New York City to inspire creatives and remind them of their power as artists in creating a better world for us to live in. When Shanice is not writing for change, she enjoys swimming, playing the drums and listening to dancehall music!