Style

The Pieces You Need for Your COVID Vaccination

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to vaccination season. One of the trendiest fashion looks right now is adding a little pizazz to your look for your appointment–after all, this is the biggest moment of leaving your house since this time last year. Remember that the vaccine is given in the upper muscle of your arm, so now is the time to rock a cold shoulder or a sleeveless top; there are so many options! Feel free to go all out and snap a pic with your vaccination card for the memories and an instagram post.

I love that so many people are taking this moment to be hopeful about returning to the normalcy of life. The internet is showing people putting on gowns, or suits and ties to celebrate this first step towards a return to normal life, and the relief of surviving the struggles of working from home or social distancing this past year. 

The iconic Miss Dolly Parton rocked a shimmery sapphire-blue, cold shoulder sweater for her vaccination appointment. It’s the perfect style because it keeps your arms accessible, so you don’t need to tug on your sleeve or remove layers. Try finding something fun and exciting to wear to make this feel like a big moment for you, because it is! I love this Cut Out sweater from Zara, it’s chunky and features pom poms while being a creamy shade that’s perfect for spring, and it offers a way to wear your band aid as a badge of honor. 

For a more “spring moment”, try an off-the-shoulder dress in a pastel color. This is the best way to combine the excitement for spring and excitement for the vaccine. I am in love with a summer dress and an oversized cardigan this spring, and it makes it easy to get your shot while staying comfortable and warm. The In Love dress from Lulu’s is my favorite piece in my cart. It comes in the perfect sage green for spring, or a classic white with a cute swiss dot textured pattern with slitted sleeves that are perfect for getting your vaccine.  

Wear the formal dress from a missed event. This year’s proms, weddings, graduations and other big events were cancelled. So throw on the gorgeous gown in your closet and grab a matching mask and finish the look with a band aid. It doesn’t matter how fancy or lavish it is, your vaccine appointment is the hottest event of the spring 2021 season, so dress to steal the spotlight! If you don’t have a dress, that’s fine, now is the time to go thrifting and buy a dress second hand. You could even make a TikTok about it. 

If you want to be a little bit more lowkey in your excitement, break out the fun accessories. Throw on your prom shoes with a pair of jeans and a sweater. For a simple, yet fun compromise, put your ID, insurance card and appointment information in a sparkly clutch or do some bold eye makeup over your mask. I love the Gold Beaded Clutch from Lulu’s for a bit of fun, with room for holding all the documents you need for the vaccination appointment. For a comfier option that’s still fun, try a sparkly sneaker; I love the Redding sneaker by Steve Madden for some sparkle, while still allowing for comfort and functionality, and it pairs great with leggings or sweats. 

And most importantly, don’t forget a mask. Whether you choose a simple black surgical mask, for a monochromatic edgy look, or an N95 for a bright white look, or even something reusable. The Sequin Shimmer Mask from Free People shows your excitement for the future and parties, after life returns to normal. This Velvet Pearl mask from CaliJShop on Etsy shows that this appointment is the biggest event of your season. This Embroidered mask from LittleBearbyDavid is the perfect mask for a feminine spring look; it comes in a bunch of different floral designs, so you can pick based on your favorite flower! 

For my personal look, I’m going with the blue sequin cocktail dress from the Misha Collection I bought in December of 2019 for a party. I have worn it twice, but it is connected with normalcy and happiness and celebration, so I will be donning that with the simple bandaid and white vaccination card. 

Remember to stay safe and keep social distancing even after you are vaccinated, and tag us in all of your cute vaccination looks on Instagram: @hercampussbu and @hercampusstyle 

Julia is a national writer for Her Campus. While she writes for all verticals, her focus is the wellness section, bringing you everything you need to know about relationships, astrology, and the best ways to get down and dirty. Julia is a recent grad of Stony Brook University, where she studied journalism with a minor in women's studies. During her time at SBU, she was a VS PINK campus rep, and an active member of Her Campus @ SBU. When she isn't writing, you can find Julia reading a smutty romance novel, hitting up her local crystal shop, or thrifting with an iced oat milk latte in hand. She's a Capricorn (but you probably already knew that) and a practicing yogi.
The collgiette's online guide to life in seawolf country.