The People You Are Bound to Meet Your First Week at Stony Brook University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

1. The Pre-Med

Almost everyone at Stony Brook is a Biology major on the pre-med track, at least when they start out, so you are bound to run into at least one wherever you go. You can usually find them looking at printed lecture slides or playing with their organic chemistry molecule kits all around campus.

2. The Party-er

This is the girl who rolls into their 8:30 in a sparkly crop top with their hair sticking together with Jack Daniels or the guy who comes in smelling like weed and Natty Lights. They are out at the SAC Loop 7 days a week and are probably in some sort of Greek life or sports team.

3. The Lives-in-the-Library

This person could also fall into any category on the list, as everyone at Stony Brook finds themselves in the library at some point, at least if they can find a spot. Usually, people find a study space that is unique to them, but others will settle into a spot in North Reading Room and stick to it the entire year.

4. The Athlete

Usually, the athlete is on whatever-major-works-with-my-practice-schedule, but you will find some sitting in your classroom. The easiest way to identify an athlete is the navy backpack with a picture of Wolfie and their team on it, or occasionally they will have on a t-shirt with “Stony Brook Athletics” on it.

5. The Computer Science Major

These can, quite stereotypically, always be found staring at a program in NetBeans and Eclipse, or pledging their allegiance to specific operating systems and languages. A lot of people are accepted into the program as freshmen, but if they applied later, they are probably super stressed about getting that B+ across the board for all the intro classes, and hoping they can get a seat eventually.

6. The Changed-My-Major-For-The-Third-Time-This-Week

Originally, you feel like a terrible person for not remembering this person’s major, and assuming it’s Biology (which is a pretty safe guess), but really they started as Biology but then switched to English, then Biomedical Engineering, then Journalism, and are now back to Biology. People are usually indecisive their first year or so, but there is always one person who doesn’t know what they want to do until graduation day.

My name is Shannon Connors and I am a 3rd year English major at Stony Brook. My favorite things are coffee, dogs, and Netflix.
The collgiette's online guide to life in seawolf country.