This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

A New Way to Study

One of the biggest problems I’ve encountered in my academic career thus far is my inability to study for long periods of time. I find it impossible to clear my head of all the mindless clutter, in order to think. Even more, I struggle to get into the headspace required to even begin to study. After much trial and error, and a lot more procrastination, I found an auditory study aid that essentially revolutionized the way I study–brain-wave entrainment music.

At first glance, brain-wave entrainment sounds a bit daunting, even scary. What exactly are brain-waves? According to an article on brainworksneurotherapy.com, brain-waves are rhythmic electrical patterns in the brain “produced by synchronised electrical pulses from masses of neurons communicating with each other” and that these waves run on particular frequencies (Symphonic Mind Ltd).

Different brain-waves can be attributed to different human functioning. For example, during normal waking activity, our brains produce beta waves and during deeper sleep, our brains produce delta waves (MinuteEarth). There are three other kinds of waves: gamma, alpha and theta.

How do brain waves relate to studying? Apparently, we can stimulate our brains into “entering a specific state by using a pulsing sound, light or electromagnetic field” (Symphonic Mind Ltd). The medium I’d like to focus on is sound. In brain-wave entrainment, listening to frequencies that parallel a particular brain-wave induce the corresponding state of mind.

Music is a popularly used study aid and this is because it is a powerful brain stimulant. The Mozart Effect, for example, indicates that listening to Mozart before completing a mental task induces better performance. Studies show that “listening to brain-wave entrainment music statistically increases IQ and improves test scores” (iAwake Technologies).

I tend to listen to alpha wave entrainment music which promotes alertness and clear-thinking, because it helps calm my mind enough to focus on the material at hand and study. Although effectiveness differs from person to person, theta and delta wave frequencies, which are associated with the sleeping state, tend to be too slow for effective studying. For those who are able to study productively but need more focus, beta waves are recommended, as they are indicative of a “strongly engaged mind” (Scientific American).

I can attest to the fact that listening to brain-wave entrainment music helps me stay on task and settles me into a rhythm that allows me to think clearly.

Stimulating brain activity as it relates to learning and memory is a relatively new concept. As with any new venture, it is important to keep in mind that each individual is different. Brain-wave entrainment music is not recommended for those that are prone to seizures of any kind. More precautionary advice can be found here under the section titled “The Warnings”.

Amrit Nasiruddin

Stony Brook '22

Reader. Melophile. Lover of adventure. Junior. Philosophy Major. Premed student.
Forever in search of the next fashion trend and my delicious next meal.  Inspired by Blake Lively, Cardi B and Ina Garten. In love with food, fashion and long car rides. Not a fan of ketchup, sunburns and the smell of fresh cut grass