My Quest for a College Romance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

I don’t mean to sound cynical, but are there no decent college men out there? I realize that we are all busy studying and are all sleep deprived, but is there really no room in our lives for a romantic date or a movie night? I have been led to believe that college is not the place to find true love, but is rather the place for “messing around.” And why is that? Is it because college students are so afraid of commitment that for them, holding hands becomes the terrifying equivalent of being eternally tied down?

Many collegiettes realize that there are an infinite number of ways to express love, and infinite possibilities to find that special person we are looking for. Like many others, though, I am passively looking for (read: dreaming about) the right man, but the men that I have thus far encountered in my college career seemed to have been uninterested in real relationships, much less in friendships. They have shamelessly asked me if I am “DTF” with no strings attached? Who, in her right mind, would accept such a repulsive offer? Unfortunately, the golden rule of college relationships seems to be that one night stands are the norm. And one should never deviate from the norm.

Well, I absolutely refuse to stick to the norm. I refuse to surrender my dignity. It utterly disgusts me that some men are such cowardly wimps that they resort to demeaning the bodies of women to build self confidence. I believe that neither men nor women should ever succumb to the notion that in college, one cannot have a meaningful and lasting relationship. Despite my earlier negativity, I am trying to look on the bright side now.

For those of you who are currently in happy relationships, I congratulate you and envy you. For those of you who, like me, cannot seem to find a decent guy, hang in there! And for those of you who are somewhere in between, please forgive my rant, but I know that I am not the only one who lusts for love. Here’s an interesting statistic I found based on a survey done a few years ago. “Almost 14 percent of all couples that end up getting married met at school at some point, most commonly at college. People are older and more prepared for a relationship and college also offers so many ways to meet people: sharing a floor in the dorms, clubs and organizations, sitting together during classes or sharing a moment in the library.” Promising? I’d certainly say so.