This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Concert season is coming upon us fast and your bank account is suffering. An affordable and safe option can be watching concerts from the comfort of your own home. And now, I don’t mean watching blurry bootlegs on youtube, or snippets on tiktok. (Okay that’s kinda a lie, I’ll be watching Harry clips all day).

Don’t get me wrong, I love going to concerts. I save my paychecks for months to splurge on pit tickets for my favorite artists. However, the financial stability of a college student can never match resale prices. If you still want to sing-a-long and get all dressed up, documentaries are a great option. Grab your friends and set the perfect watch party to sing while getting to know the artist behind the music. Plus, watching from home means getting dressed up in pjs is totally acceptable too!

For all my Taylor Swift fans, watch her Netflix Documentary Miss Americana while her tour starts in less than a week. If you had no luck snagging tickets after the Ticketmaster complications, you might be interested in this inexpensive option. 

Maybe your favorite artist hasn’t set the stage in a while and you need to break the post-concert depression. Netflix Documentary Ariana Grande: Excuse Me, I Love You can let you relive the Sweetener and Thank U, Next eras. 

Some fans have been battling post-concert depression for over seven years. To all the One Direction fans, you are in luck with Louis Tomlinson’s All of Those Voices releasing worldwide soon. You can even watch Niall Horan’s Homecoming: The Road to Mullingar with Lewis Capaldi and Harry Styles: Behind the Album to get you in the 1D spirit. 

Did you miss The Weeknd’s sold-out tour? No worries, recently he released The Weeknd: Live at SoFi Stadium which brings the onstage experience to the streaming service HBO. 

If none of the current artists are your vibes, taking it back to the stars who made history in the music industry is the place to be. Films like Amy (Amy Winehouse), Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck, Moonage Daydream (David Bowie), and The Bee Gees: How Can You Mend a Broken Heart might be more up your alley. 

Another great way to find some documentaries can be a video series on Youtube during the artist’s tour, the making of an album, or a look into their life. My favorite band released The 5 Seconds of Summer Show – A 10 Year Celebration of their band’s history along with a 10-episode podcast breaking down each year leading up to their decade anniversary. 

Sometimes it’s ok to save your wallet and support the artist with a more budget-friendly option. Happy watching!

Melanie Karniewich

Stony Brook '25

Melanie Karniewich is the Vice President of Her Campus Stony Brook and a junior Journalism major with a minor in Film and Screen Studies at Stony Brook University. You can always find her reading rom-com novels, watching mystery movies, and of course writing.