This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Rachel is a senior at SBU majoring in Psychology. She is from Farmingville, NY and loves to sing. “I used to be really involved with music and performing in high school and even did some singing in the Stony Brook Chorale, but now I only perform in my car when I’m driving to school!” she says.

What is it like being on the E-Board for Minorities in Psychology?

Being on the E-Board for MIP has been a great experience! I love the thrill that I get when, after all the hard work that goes into planning our meetings and events, we get to actually see it happen. And as the Arts for Everyone Coordinator, I have the added bonus of working on something that I am very passionate about: bringing joy to the lives of children in the psychiatric ward of SBU Medical Center.

You were recently selected to go to Washington, D.C. with President Stanley. Can you please elaborate on that experience?

My trip to D.C. was a huge capstone to my experience as a student leader at Stony Brook! Dean Stein called me and asked if I would accompany him, Dr. Stanley, and other administrators, as well as three other students to D.C. to speak to congresspeople and senators about the importance of the Pell Grant. Because my financial aid has enabled me to participate in so many extracurricular activities (I didn’t have to spend my free time at work!) I felt like I owed it to SBU and its students to represent them and to put a face to the grant that legislators are attempting to cut. I really enjoyed being able to convey my message, and it gave me the idea that I might like to work in public policy later on in life.

You are a feminist, no?

I am definitely a feminist and not afraid to say so! For me, the phrase means that I am a proponent of equal rights for men and women in the social, economic, and politic spheres and that I am willing to fight for it. I think many more people would identify as feminists if they thought about it this way. My eyes were opened to feminism when I started taking WST courses to fulfill my DECs. I have learned so much and have really become empathetic to the challenges that so many women face. My current research is on Feminism and Stereotype Threat and how we can empower women to enter fields that are typically male-dominated. I hope that with whatever insight we might gain from this project, we can really advocate for women and their rights in the future.

What’s your favorite realm of psychology?

I really enjoy clinical psychology because I feel that, as a practicing psychologist, I will be able to make changes to better the lives of others directly. I consider myself a Star-Fish Flinger, someone who, as the parable goes, will look at the big picture yet still take time to throw each little “star-fish in crisis” back into the water and save its life.

How do you manage all your leadership positions at school and your management position at Boomers Family Entertainment Center?

It is hard to balance all that I do, but I really do love and take pride in everything that I choose to associate myself with and that serves as motivation every day. My management position at Boomers is awesome because it is so much fun even though I am working. The job makes it easier for me to balance my other commitments. It is also very important for me to spend time with my family, including my boyfriend, Greg, and my best friend, Alicia, amongst all the craziness! Finally, I love to bake – something that allows me to be creative in ways that I cannot be as a student or a leader, and I love that people are impressed by my baking! I would love to settle down one day, after I have made a big impact in this world, and just run a cute little bakery!