Meet the Her Campus Stony Brook Writing Team!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Name: Shannon Blackmer

Year: Junior

Major: English with Journalism Minor

Hometown: Faribault, Minnesota

What does being on the Her Campus Stony Brook team mean to you?: “I’ve had the honor of leading this team the past 2 years and every week I’m blown away by the incredible skill and passion of our writers and social media correspondents. I’m proud to say that Her Campus Stony Brook represents all walks of life on this campus so every Seawolf can have a voice.” 

Where do you want to be in 5 years?: “Happy and loved.” 

Why are you proud to be a Seawolf?: “Stony Brook is my home 1000 miles away from my family so I’m proud of the love and support I get from my fellow Seawolves that have created my incredible SBU experience.” 

Name: Dorothy Mai

Year: Sophomore

Major: Journalism with Digital Arts Minor

Hometown: Staten Island, NY

What does being on the Her Campus Stony Brook team mean to you?: “Her Campus Stony Brook is a group of unique individuals that strive to promote women’s presence on campus. We write and post a diverse amount of content, varying from hard campus news, to profiles, to fun listicles. The list continues. It’s a place where I’m proud and safe to be a woman.” 

Where do you want to be in 5 years?: “In five years, I hope to be a producer or multimedia editor for a news organization, hopefully somewhere like VICE. I’m passionate about the arts but also the art of storytelling and sharing the news.” 

Why are you proud to be a Seawolf?: “I’m proud to be a Seawolf because what is a Seawolf? It’s a unique unidentifiable creature that no one at Stony Brook can tell you exactly what it is, just like every individual at this school. Unique.” 

Name: Michelle Fong

Year: Sophomore

Major: Political Science and Sociology

Hometown: Staten Island, NY

What does being on the Her Campus Stony Brook team mean to you?: “Empowered women empower women. To know that I have a team of strong and supportive individuals who encourage and inspire my antics is to know that I am not alone. Our team not only gives me something to be a part of but also gives me something to be proud of.” 

Where do you want to be in 5 years?: “Hopefully, I’ll be an official law school graduate making her way downtown –in a New York firm. In my down time, I’ll be lounging in my cramped but cozy studio apartment, sipping Starbucks and continuing to write articles that will one day be published in the New York Times.” 

Why are you proud to be a Seawolf?: “I’ll admit, I wasn’t always but I couldn’t help falling in love with the campus, its people, and our community. Every day I am interacting with a new student, hoping to somehow improve their lives in one way or another. Because studying at Stony Brook means that we are more than just a Seawolf, we are part of a pack and in this pack, we look out for each other.” 

Name: Tiffany Larson

Year: Senior

Major: Business Management with Spanish Minor

Hometown: Islip, NY

What does being on the Her Campus Stony Brook team mean to you?: “Being connected to a group of girls who share the same interests as me.” 

Where do you want to be in 5 years?: “I would like to be living in Manhattan, possibly in graduate school part time, and working in the Marketing field for an international corporation.” 

Why are you proud to be a Seawolf?: “I am proud to be apart of a great community of students, teachers and faculty.” 

Name: Kailey Walters

Year: Sophomore

Major: English and Psychology with Creative Writing Minor

Hometown: Staten Island, NY

What does being on the Her Campus Stony Brook team mean to you?: “Being on the Her Campus Stony Brook team means being part of a dynamic community of writers who care about the Stony Brook audience they are writing for.” 

Where do you want to be in 5 years?: “In five years I want to have a clearer picture of the career path I would like to pursue, and be confident in my abilities to succeed and have fun in that career.” 

Why are you proud to be a Seawolf?: “I’m proud to be a Seawolf because I belong to a community of driven, passionate and genuine individuals who give me strength and push me to improve in everything I do. ” 

Name: Shannon Blackler

Year: Senior

Major: English and Creative Writing

Hometown: Copiague, NY

What does being on the Her Campus Stony Brook team mean to you?: “Writing for Her Campus has given me a huge platform to stand on so that I can share my voice! I’ve been able to speak about topics that are important to me and connect with a readership that feels the same. Her Campus has been a great learning experience, giving me the skills I need to be a strong and engaging writer so that I can continue to share words that make a difference.” 

Where do you want to be in 5 years?: “I would love to be a Managing Editor for an online platform much like Her Campus! Having writing and editing experience through Her Campus as well as The Odyssey Online has awakened a passion in me that I never knew was there. It’s been a long journey of uncertainty and nerves, but I am so happy to be able to finally that I now know what I’d love to do for a career. ” 

Why are you proud to be a Seawolf?: “The Stony Brook community has been so welcoming, energetic, and unique that I could never dream of being an undergrad anywhere else! We are so diverse within our student body who get together in clubs and organizations just like Her Campus to make a huge difference during our lifetimes. The passion and drive of every single Seawolf inspires me to work harder and live louder!” 

Name: Suzanne Tawch

Year: Freshman

Major: Biology with Spanish Minor

Hometown: Long Island, NY

What does being on the Her Campus Stony Brook team mean to you?: “Her Campus is a chance for me to explore writing and to share things I care about. I think it’s really cool that students are given the freedom to write about anything they choose. As a biology major, my schedule is mostly science classes which can be overwhelming at times. Her Campus is an enjoyable way to balance out my schedule and to be more involved at Stony Brook! ” 

Where do you want to be in 5 years?: “In five years, I hope to be in my second year of medical school. I wish to have studied abroad in either Thailand, Costa Rica, or Italy during my college years. My goal is to be fluent in Spanish and Arabic. Wherever the future leads me, I hope to be happy and healthy, surrounded by friends and family in the following years to come! ” 

Why are you proud to be a Seawolf?: “I’m proud to be a Seawolf in a community that acknowledges diversity, and promotes acceptance of all cultures! Stony Brook University is a place where you can be who you are and follow what makes you happy! ” 

Name: Rushnan Islam

Year: Freshman

Major: Biochemistry

Hometown: Queens, NY

What does being on the Her Campus Stony Brook team mean to you?: “It gives me a platform to express myself and meet some amazing girls who share the same passion as me. ” 

Where do you want to be in 5 years?: “Hopefully, in med school. ” 

Why are you proud to be a Seawolf?: “The place and the people just makes you feel at home! ” 

Name: Monica MacDonald

Year: Sophomore

Major: Biochemistry

Hometown: Buffalo, NY

What does being on the Her Campus Stony Brook team mean to you?: “I enjoy having a way to voice and advise my thoughts in a place that is so accepting. Her Campus allows me to do that.” 

Where do you want to be in 5 years?: “I would love to be a part of an M.D./Ph.D. program in 5 years.” 

Why are you proud to be a Seawolf?: “I love being a Seawolf because we live on such a diverse campus that promotes learning of all subjects .” 

Name: Julitza Zapata

Year: Junior

Major: English with Latin American and Caribbean Studies Minor

Hometown: Queens, NY

What does being on the Her Campus Stony Brook team mean to you?: “It’s an amazing opportunity to write articles about many topics; and a great way to meet people. All of these girls are so nice and all have great content to share. Sharing life experiences, makeup tips, or our favorite shows and music are cool ways to connect to one another. Being on the Her Campus team gave me the chance to challenge myself with the content I want to share and to share my writing with a large audience of people. It also took me out of my comfort zone! I’m grateful for that.” 

Where do you want to be in 5 years?: “You know, I always ask myself that question, ha. I just hope to be financially stable, happy and working my way through Law School. That’s a dream I wish to achieve in the next five years. Oh and to have another cat and still write!” 

Why are you proud to be a Seawolf?: “This school at times can be intimidating, but it’s an awesome place to be. I’ve learned so much already in my first year here and met wonderful professors and students. This school gives you the opportunity to challenge yourself, to step out of your comfort zone and join others to try out new things.” 

Name: Dyondra Wilson

Year: Senior

Major: Journalism with Creative Writing Minor

Hometown: Rockville Centre, NY

What does being on the Her Campus Stony Brook team mean to you?: “Being on the Her Campus team at Stony Brook means being apart of something bigger than myself. I get to write stories for mostly college women trying to make it out there like me and have fun while doing it. I’m so happy to call a team like this my own and carry the Her Campus name.” 

Where do you want to be in 5 years?: “In five years, I definitely see myself traveling to more places around the world and experiencing life outside of the U.S. Hopefully, I’ll also be at some news organization like VICE, or ABC News producing stories for the world.” 

Why are you proud to be a Seawolf?: “I’m proud to be a Seawolf because I get to bleed red and shout chants that only make sense to fellow Seawolves like myself. I love Stony Brook’s atmosphere and I think it fits well with who I am. Plus Wolfie is like my favorite mascot ever!” 

Name: Kayla Keller

Year: Junior

Major: Linguistics with English and Writing & Rhetoric Minors

Hometown: Yaphank, NY

What does being on the Her Campus Stony Brook team mean to you?: “I love writing for Her Campus because it gives me a platform to share my ideas and thoughts with college girls around the nation. I love being able to connect with other people who share the same ideals and experiences with me.” 

Where do you want to be in 5 years?: “In five years, I hope I love waking up to go to a job I actually enjoy. I want work towards increasing literacy rates around the world and providing books to those who cannot afford them.” 

Why are you proud to be a Seawolf?: “I really admire the diversity on campus and how all of the students can come from all over the world and connect at a university.” 

Name: Jasmin Suknanan

Year: Junior

Major: Journalism with Digital Arts Minor

Hometown: South Ozone Park, NY

What does being on the Her Campus Stony Brook team mean to you?: “Being on the Her Campus Stony Brook team means being part of a creative process that allows the voices of the Lady Seawolves to be heard. Reading and sharing everyone’s thoughts and opinions is so empowering because we’re all here to build each other up. I always look forward to our team’s articles on college life, beauty and everything in between.” 

Where do you want to be in 5 years?: “In 5 years, I probably want to be on camera doing what I do best — eating food! And, of course, exploring the cultures behind that food. I want to have the opportunity to travel around to various cities around the world and showcase unique eats, products and lifestyles.” 

Why are you proud to be a Seawolf?: “I’m proud to be a Seawolf because I’m part of such a diverse campus where everyone comes from so many different walks of life. The inspiration here is endless!”

Name: Kanika Talwar

Year: Sophomore

Major: Journalism

Hometown: East Farmingdale, NY

What does being on the Her Campus Stony Brook team mean to you?: “It’s a great community of girls that are always pushing each other to write about what they are interested in. I love being able to have free range in what I want to convey to on our website, and knowing it will always be supported.” 

Where do you want to be in 5 years?: “I see myself working for a travel magazine as a writer and/or photographer, and traveling the world. It’s also my dream to open my own winery with my dad.” 

Why are you proud to be a Seawolf?: “I am proud to be a Seawolf because we come together to act on things that we would like to see changed for the betterment of our community. I love being with people that openly convey that we can do better for ourselves and others.” 

Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor