Meet the Her Campus Stony Brook Team!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Name: Shannon Blackmer

Position: Editor-in-Chief Campus Correspondent 

Year: Sophomore

Major: English with Journalism Minor

Hometown: Faribault, Minnesota

What does Her Campus Stony Brook mean to you?: “I started Her Campus Stony Brook to give women on this campus a voice to speak about what they are passionate about (whether that is feminism, politics, beauty, social issues, health, college advice, or anything in between) directly to the women at Stony Brook. If you think women on campus need to know about how you survived an eating disorder or mental illness, your experience with slut shaming, the newest trend in make up, the best spots on campus, or why a certain person on campus is making a difference, then you deserve a platform to share that story. Her Campus Stony Brook also means connecting with Seawolf-ettes over social media, especially on our Instagram, through cute quotes, funny pictures, beautiful photos of the campus, and giveaways.” 

Passions in life: “Hiking, traveling, reading, social justice, love…all that good stuff.”

Favorite Stony Brook memory: “Being chased by Roth Pond geese with my best friends and hysterically laughing and crying.” 

Instagram: @shannonablack13

Name: Michelle Fong

Position: Writer

Year: Freshman

Major: Political Science

Hometown: Staten Island, New York

What does Her Campus Stony Brook mean to you?: “A creative outlet where all types of women can express their opinions and views on a myriad of topics.”

Passions in life: “Singing, acting, and writing.” 

Favorite Stony Brook memory: “Opening night of Madama Butterfly.”

Instagram: @laughstars

Name: Tiffany Larson

Position: Writer

Year: Junior

Major: Business Management

Hometown: Islip, New York

What does Her Campus Stony Brook mean to you?: “Her Campus is an outlet for me to express my concerns, thoughts and feelings. It is a place for me to share content with other collegiates like me.”

Passions in life: “Baking, cooking, visiting parks, traveling.”

Favorite Stony Brook memory: “Strawberry Fest.”

Instagram: @tiffy_lynnn

Name: Siobhan Becker

Position: Photographer

Year: Senior

Major: Journalism

Hometown: Nesconset, New York

What does Her Campus Stony Brook mean to you?: “Her Campus offers me a new place to connect with new people on such a large campus.”

Passions in life: “Photography and animal advocacy.” 

Favorite Stony Brook memory: “The first time I brought a foster dog of mine on campus and successfully snuck him into class.”

Instagram: @Siobhan_Becker

Name: Helen Liu

Position: Social Media Director

Year: Junior

Major: “Perfecting the RBF…jk. Health Science and Linguistics.” 

Hometown: Brooklyn, New York

What does Her Campus Stony Brook mean to you?: “It’s the opportunity to learn new skills, to discover new ideas from other people, to speak up on social issues and to bring the people of the Stony Brook community together. As the Social Media Director, I have the chance to help build our image and interact with the readers. At Her Campus at Stony Brook, we really do take every feedback we get and do our best to improve.”

Passions in life: “Petting dogs.”

Favorite Stony Brook memory: “Mac Miller Concert on Staller Steps!”

Instagram: @_helendliu

Name: Rebecca Liebson

Position: Writer

Year: Freshman

Major: Journalism and Political Science

Hometown: White Plains, New York

What does Her Campus Stony Brook mean to you?: “Her Campus Stony Brook is a place for me to be creative and talk about the things I find interesting, while connecting with others in my school community.”

Passions in life: “Writing, reading, feminism, twitter rants, and Chick-fil-A.”

Favorite Stony Brook memory: “Watching homecoming inside the warm press box while everyone else was stuck outside in the cold.”

Instagram: @rliebs7

Name: Kayla Lupoli-Nolan

Position: Writer

Year: Sophomore

Major: Journalism

Hometown: Bohemia, New York

What does Her Campus Stony Brook mean to you?: “It means somewhere that has a little bit of everything and anything. It helps me get through the week or even my morning coffee.”

Passions in life: “Reading, Claude Monet, music, sports, and traveling.”

Favorite Stony Brook memory: “Soaking up the sun on Staller Steps.”

Instagram: @kaylalupoli

Name: Jessica Merrell

Position: Writer

Year: Junior

Major: Physcology

Hometown: Holbrook, New York

What does Her Campus Stony Brook mean to you?: “Her campus is about giving a voice to women and allowing us to share what we’re passionate about. Her campus gives us a platform to change our readers lives for the better.”

Passions in life: “Volunteering, teaching, reading and writing.” 

Favorite Stony Brook memory: “Attending a football game in the pouring rain.” 

Name: Angela Schuler

Position: Writer

Year: Sophomore

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Hometown: Ronkonkoma, NY

What does Her Campus Stony Brook mean to you?: “I love writing for Her Campus because it gives me a chance to share my humor, knowledge, and experiences with my colleagues. I believe Her Campus creates a community where Stony Brook students can come read an article that relates to them, or causing them to see a different point of view. I hope that Her Campus will help to make girls feel as though there is someone out there they can relate to and they’re not alone in their opinions or ideas.”

Passions in life: “
To learn new things but not always in the standard, conventional, classroom way. I think that life is one big learning experience and we are able to learn new things almost everyday. Learning for fun is much different then learning from a classroom. We are all capable to learn from different places, people and experiences. In my opinion everyone has their own story to tell, and when you sit down with someone and really talk to them, you can learn so much. I feel like talking to someone, picking up a book, or even going out and experiencing things on your own causing you to have a life full of knowledge and experience.”

Favorite Stony Brook memory: “My favorite Stony Brook memory is definitely going to the basketball games with my friends. You feel a sense of camaraderie throughout the entire student body and it’s really awesome to see.”

Instagram: @Angelaschuuler

Name: Jasmin Suknanan

Position: Writer

Year: Sophomore

Major: Journalism with Digital Arts Minor

Hometown: Queens, New York

What does Her Campus Stony Brook mean to you?: “Her Campus Stony Brook means getting out of my comfort zone and trying new things. It gives me a chance to write with a voice that isn’t necessarily acceptable in a classroom setting, and I’m always finding new, interesting things to write about and share to motivate others, or to just recount a funny anecdote.”

Passions in life: “I’m a nail polish addict (I paint my nails a new design every single week!) and I love trying out recipes made from BuzzFeed. I’m also really into photography and blogging.”

Favorite Stony Brook memory: “Going to the America East Championship Basketball game back in March, because it was my first time at a basketball game and I sat in the Red Zone right next to the band, and the entire game I was on my feet cheering and having a blast. It wasn’t just memorable because we won, but also because I could never picture myself as the type of person to shout and cheer and get so avid during a game. It was such a fun experience and I definitely want to go to every single SBU Basketball game next season!”

Instagram: @xoitzjazz

Name: Sonisha Sanju

Position: Writer

Year: Junior

Major: Health Science

Hometown: Short Hills, New Jersey

What does Her Campus Stony Brook mean to you?: “It’s a fun, accessible way to connect the campus with relevant information that’s consumer friendly.”

Passions in life: “Traveling, trying new foods, reading, and playing volleyball.”

Favorite Stony Brook memory: “Theater 105 with Professor Moes!”

Instagram: @sonishasanju

Name: Dorothy Mai

Position: Writer

Year: Freshman

Major: Journalism

Hometown: Staten Island, New York

What does Her Campus Stony Brook mean to you?: “Her Campus is a place where I can write what I want to write without being on strict guidelines. I can finally truly express myself and my interests and hopefully entertain yet inform readers on different subjects.”

Passions in life: “Music, writing, shoes, food, photography, food…”

Favorite Stony Brook memory: “Meeting the wildest and most unique people who I call my friends.”

Instagram: @dorothyyymaii_

Name: Kanika Talwar

Position: Writer

Year: Freshman

Major: Undecided

Hometown: Farmingdale, New York

What does Her Campus Stony Brook mean to you?: “Her Campus is a place for me to share my writing and current endeavors with other people. I love the feedback and the amazing team working for the Stony Brook branch. It is a place for me to get away from my stressful schoolwork and just do what I love: write.”

Passions in life: “Traveling, writing, and fashion.”

Favorite Stony Brook memory: “Too many to name specifics but probably meeting my best friends.”

Instagram: @kanikatalwar

Name: Kellie Miller

Position: Writer

Year: Freshman

Major: Health Science, Pre-Nursing

Hometown: Bohemia, New York

What does Her Campus Stony Brook mean to you?: “I get to share my passions of a healthy lifestyle with the readers.”

Passions in life: “Going to the gym, eating healthy, and going to the beach,”

Favorite Stony Brook memory: “Joining the club Field Hockey Team.”

Name: Jen Cooper

Position: Writer

Year: Freshman

Major: Journalism, Creative Writing Minor

Hometown: Levittown, New York

What does Her Campus Stony Brook mean to you?: “Her campus is a news source that is relatable and breaks down media stereotypes. I know that when I publish my work, Her Campus readers are intelligent and accepting of all I have to say.”

Passions in life: “My passions in life are my kitten, creative writing, and social activism through journalism.”

Favorite Stony Brook memory: “Favorite memory was playing in the SOSB marching band with Walk the Moon.”

Instagram: @jenthefeminist

Name: Dara Smith

Position: Writer

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Port Jefferson Station, New York

What does Her Campus Stony Brook mean to you?: “Her Campus Stony Brook is an opportunity for interests and issues concerning women to be voiced. I enjoy being able to write about topics that mean so much to me, while expanding on challenges women face in their lives.”

Passions in life: “Track & Field. Writing. Broadcasting.”

Favorite Stony Brook memory: “Homecoming weekend.”

Instagram: @Dara.bear

Name: Katy Franzone

Position: Social Media Correspondent 

Year: Sophomore

Major: Respiratory Therapy

Hometown: Gales Ferry, Connecticut 

What does Her Campus Stony Brook mean to you?: 

Passions in life: “Whole Foods, samples from Costco, baking, being cozy (Tevas), and sunshine.”

Favorite Stony Brook memory: “Walking by Roth Pond with Shannon Blackmer and another friend, and almost getting run over by a pack of geese.”

Instagram: @katyfriendzone

Name: Serena Zachariah

Position: Writer

Year: Sophomore

Major: Psychology and Media Arts

Hometown: Morris County, New Jersey

What does Her Campus Stony Brook mean to you?: “Her Campus Stony Brook has grown within such a short amount of time to be a medium through which students on this campus can learn about its student body and the amazing things it does! I’m so grateful to be able to write about my passion for music on this blog. It’s a really good way to unite us and has done such a great job of doing exactly this.”

Passions in life: “Reading, writing, music, films, doggies, and coffee!”

Favorite Stony Brook memory: “My favorite Stony memory would definitely be getting creative with my friends as to how to spend weekends here. Stony Brook can be a really great place if you find the right people.”

Instagram: @serena_zach

Name: Daniella Glikman

Position: Writer

Year: Freshman

Major: Business Management and Sociology

Hometown: Brooklyn, NY

What does Her Campus Stony Brook mean to you?: “A community of amazing women writing for fellow amazing women.”

Passions in life: “Trying to be positive and optimistic about anything that is thrown my way.”

Favorite Stony Brook memory: “Going to the Undergraduate College Fellows Retreat.”

The collgiette's online guide to life in seawolf country.
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor