Meet Alyssa Melillo!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Basic info: Alyssa is a sophomore from Holtsville, NY majoring in Journalism. She has been a vegetarian for over five years.

1. What is it like being a reporter for the Stony Brook Press?

I love writing for the Press! As a journalism major, it’s great being able to get a hands-on experience with reporting and writing. I’ve definitely learned a lot of things that I probably won’t learn in any of my journalism classes, so I’m happy for this opportunity. Also, writing for a campus publication kind of gives you a behind-the-scenes look at Stony Brook, which is really cool. I think it’s given me a new perspective of the school because I’ve learned so much. Also, it’s just a lot of fun, and you meet a lot of new people in the community through the reporting you do.

2. What has been your proudest Press moment?

Getting my first article published! It was a story on gender-neutral housing, and although I had some problems reporting because it was only my first month here and I was still learning the basics of journalism, it felt awesome to finally see it in the paper. It took up two pages! I was so excited. Also, when administrators, professors, and other students acknowledge my work, that really makes me proud, too. It’s nice to know that people are reading what I write.

3. We heard you transferred to Stony Brook. What influenced your decision to do so?

At first I just wanted to transfer here because I live 15 minutes away and I didn’t have a great experience dorming upstate. Also Stony Brook has such a great reputation and I’ve always wanted to go to a big, well-recognized university. I had no idea about the journalism school, though. When I did hear about it (ironically from a waiter at the California Pizza Kitchen), I checked it out online and I fell in love! I knew then and there that Stony Brook was where I belonged, and now I can’t imagine being anywhere else. The atmosphere here is great, too. Students are so focused and serious about their work, which is something I didn’t feel at my first school.

4. You’ve recently delved into photography. How has that experience been?

As a journalism major, I’m required to take a digital photojournalism lab. I’ve always had an interest in photography, but I never had the money to take the professional-type photos I always look at. Now that I’m able to use a professional single-lens reflex camera, I’m really excited. Since I’m still learning how to use it, though, it’s a little tedious right now. But I’m sure that once I get the hang of it, it’s going to be so much fun. After I take this class, I may look more into photojournalism in terms of my career.

5. We hear you are in a long-distance relationship. Can you tell us about it? Any advice for our readers on how to make such a relationship work?

Well, my boyfriend is home this semester, but he may go back to his school in a semester or two. But when he is four hours away, it’s so hard. When I was at my first school, we were only 45 minutes away from each other and I went to visit him all the time because I was able to have my car on campus as a freshman. The first semester I was home, though, we had so many issues. Last semester we had more issues, but now that he’s home, things are better. We just celebrated three years in January. But like I said, when he’s away at school it’s really hard. I visit him every few weeks, though, and text him as often as possible, but I give him his space at the same time. To make a long-distance relationship work, it all depends on how much the two people love each other and are willing to put in the effort. Communication is key and the relationship won’t survive without it. I’m a firm believer that love is stronger than distance, so these relationships can work!

6. What else, besides the Press, are you involved with on campus?

Last semester I was involved with the Community Service Club and at the beginning of this semester, the Commuter Student Association. I was also part of the Commuter Assistant Program, which really helped my transition to Stony Brook. This semester I’m really only involved with the Press, but I’m hoping to apply to be on the School of Journalism Student Advisory Board when more spots open up next semester. I’m looking to get as involved as I can in my major because that will open up a lot of opportunities, and I want to go to grad school.

7. What has been your favorite class so far?

I would have to say JRN 110: Basic News Reporting and Writing. That class taught me the basics of how to write like a journalist. I have always loved writing and it has been my forte for as long as I can remember, but writing an essay or a fictional story is a lot different than writing a news story, so I’m happy that the School of Journalism requires a class like JRN 110. It helped me with not only the stories I write for the Press, but for the rest of my journalism classes, too.

8. What is your advice for incoming freshmen?

I know everyone says this, but get involved! Getting involved within your major or with any club, sport, or organization will really make your experience at Stony Brook so much richer than it already is. You’ll meet a lot of new people and you’ll have fun at the same time! Also, reading any student publication helps, too. The publications on campus really give students insight as to what’s going on with the administration, USG, sports, faculty and so much more…and I’m not just saying that because I write for one!