Meet Adam Hernandez!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Year: Junior
Major: Health Science and Sociology with a minor in philosophy
Interests: Baseball, boxing, going to the gym, hanging out with Brothers, watching movies
Fun Fact: I don’t eat fruit, pastries (except ice cream cake!), or drink any kind of juice. Gatorade is the closest thing to juice that I drink.

What activities do you participate in at Stony Brook?

First off, I would like to say that I am a very proud brother of an elite organization known as La Unidad Latina, Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity Incorporated. I currently hold the position of Vice President in this illustrious organization and seek to obtain presidency in the upcoming academic year. Aside from that, I am also a devoted general body member of various clubs and organizations on campus such as the Latino American Student Organization (LASO), Student African American Brotherhood (SAAB), Stony Brook Pre-Dental Society, and Minorities in Psychology. I also take part in many off-campus projects; I serve as a Big Brother mentor in the P.A.L. mentorship program and volunteer for the Eastern Farm Workers Association in Long Island.

What made you decide to join these groups?

In a school with over 24,000 undergraduates, it is hard to stand out and leave a footprint. When I enrolled in Stony Brook in Fall 2008, I had no friends. I attended student involvement fairs held during campus lifetime at the SAC and many other events held by Red Hot After Hours. Little by little, I became more involved and met new people. As I made friends, I learned more about myself and wanted to make a change. In such a big school, I knew that to make the best of my college experience, I had to come together with a group of students who had the same values, goals, and just as much – if not more – motivation as me.

How has being actively involved on campus shaped you as a person?

Every club, organization, and project that I have been a part of has made me the person I am today. I have learned as much about myself as I have about the outside world. Since freshman year, all of my involvements have helped me further develop certain qualities that I already had. They have also taught me how to understand and work with my peers. Also, my involvement on campus has helped me become a more secure person.

Do you have an inspirational quote?

My favorite quote is: “Success is how fast man rises after he falls.” Nobody is perfect. Everybody makes mistakes and fails from time to time. It is important to understand that failure is not a dead end, but a detour and that those who are successful are those who solved problems instead of feeling sorry for themselves and doing nothing about it. I think that this quote is relevant to anyone at any stage of their life, whether they are pursuing a degree, starting their career, or even if they are in the middle of their prime. It is easy to get discouraged by a bad grade or by the difficulty of a class and it’s hard to maintain the mental fortitude to keep on going and surpass your limits. This quote instills in me a sense to never give up and never be defeated. I am inspired to follow my dreams and pursue my passions, remembering that if I fall, I should pick myself up again.

What are your postgraduate plans?

I aspire to become a dentist specializing in cosmetic dental surgery. If things do not go as planned, I will probably open a small business and continue studying in order to achieve my original career goal.