This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Forming friendships can be a beautiful experience, even in quarantine. 

It seems so counterintuitive that being physically distant would bring people closer together mentally, emotionally, and spiritually, but that’s exactly what’s been happening in my life and in the lives of several others I know. I’m incredibly grateful that so many amazing people have entered my life during quarantine, and I never would have thought that being socially distant from people would bring us closer than ever. 

I’m not meeting new people in classes, on the train, or in the city anymore; I’m not making friends at bookstores, restaurants, or museums. But what I am doing is using my contacts list on my phone and on social media to make new friends. Yes, the people I’m becoming friends with are people I am already relatively familiar with.

social media apps on phone
Photo by dole776 from Unsplash

I’ve been reaching out to people I’ve met in the past who I’d like to get to know better or reconnect with. Some of these people I used to be close with and we simply grew apart, while others were friends from work, some are from high school, and some I met while in college. Although the ties I have with them come from differing aspects of my life, they all have one thing in common: we get along fantastically and are forming close bonds with one another. With most of these people, our friendships have become much closer than they have ever been. 

I had also expected for many of these people to not respond when I messaged them, as before quarantine, messaging someone I didn’t know too well often felt awkward. However, I’m finding that quarantine has knocked down that awkward wall for so many people. The more I made the first move in connecting and reconnecting with people, the more I have been pleasantly surprised at how willing people are to open their lives up to building strong friendships during this time. In this way, people seem to be much more willing to connect and form close friendships, whether the connections start via texting, Instagram, WhatsApp, a phone call, or another communication platform. Not only have these friends and I talked extensively via phone, but we have also met up for socially distanced walks, lunches, tennis sessions, and other excursions—taking all necessary precautions to keep each other protected from COVID-19, of course.

I have often felt anxiety when meeting new people, and quarantine is forcing me to overcome the social anxiety I have had in the past, as the people I have reached out to have not confirmed any of my fears and angst about being judged. Rather, they show me an unexpected amount of love and positivity. The best part, though, is that I get to be a partner in building friendships with some outstanding human beings. The positives of reaching out vastly outweigh the negatives. 

If you’re looking to make new friends but don’t know how to start, consider reaching out to somebody you think you might get along well with. Who knows? Perhaps you’ll find a supportive and loving lifelong friendship.

Lauren Taglienti is a writer of short stories, essays, articles, novels, and plays whose work has appeared in numerous publications. She is studying English and creative writing at Stony Brook University and interns for bestselling author and filmmaker Adriana Trigiani. Lauren is an open book who thrives when she is vulnerable because that is how she conquers her fears and connects with people. Her passions include health, wellness, self-improvement, being creative, helping others, and spreading the messages of empathy and kindness.