Looking for a Fun Social(ly-Distant) Activity? Try Tennis!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

I have always had a love for tennis, and here are some reasons why I think you might love it, too: there are physical, mental, social, and spiritual benefits that come along with playing tennis. If you know very little or nothing about tennis, you’re in luck, because the USTA published information on how to get started playing.

Not only does tennis offer you a full-body workout, but your body releases endorphins while playing that can reduce stress levels and elevate your mood. Combine that effect with the social(ly distant) aspect of it, and you’re setting yourself up for a great time. When you play, don’t worry about how skilled your swing is; just try to have fun! 

Tennis is often seen as being a very expensive sport, but that is not necessarily the case. I have had the same racquet for over 10 years, and before that racquet was mine, it was my brother’s. You do not need a professional-grade racquet to have fun and get an amazing workout. Indoor tennis courts can be unreasonably expensive to play on, so there’s no need to seek those out. There are multiple public parks that have outdoor tennis courts that are free to use. Public middle schools and high schools in your area might have tennis courts available for free use by the public, as well. Playing on outdoor public courts according to USTA’s COVID-19 safety guidelines also reduces your risk of coming into contact with COVID-19, not only because you are following the guidelines, but also just because of the very fact that you would be outdoors instead of indoors. This is a good excuse to get outside and enjoy some fresh air. To find courts near you, use USTA’s handy tennis court locator, which will inform you of the courts nearest to you. If there’s no court near you, all hope is not lost. Feel free to play in any safe location with a flat surface. I grew up playing tennis in an empty parking lot, hitting a ball against the brick wall of a building and lobbing it to my dad across the parking lot. There are plenty of options to make tennis accessible and fun, so feel free to get creative with it!

tennis ball on tennis racket
Photo by PIxabay from Pexels

Additionally, flow is an incredibly cathartic and important benefit of tennis. Steve Taylor writes in his article “In the Spirit Zone: The Spiritual Side of Sports,” that flow “is the state we experience when our attention is completely absorbed in an activity, and our awareness of our surroundings, even of ourselves fades away.” When I am rallying with someone or playing a match, I am often able to get out of my own head completely and feel flow taking over. My racing thoughts become paused, and all I am able to perceive is where the ball is and how to best hit it. It is a heightened state of focus that is akin to mindfulness and meditation. Coming out of a state of flow enables the mind and body to feel some level of peace, tranquility, and serenity. I prefer to play singles tennis, which means that I prefer to play when I am the only one on my side of the court. Because I am the only person on my side of the court, I am able to experience flow as an individual. However, it is very possible to engage in flow while playing doubles tennis.

Sports are often exclusionary to those with disabilities, but that is not the case with tennis. Adaptive tennis is for people with disabilities who need the proper equipment in order to optimize their tennis experience. People all over the world play tennis while in wheelchairs and while using other adaptive equipment. If you think you might need adaptive equipment, do not be afraid to ask a friend for help. Consider also calling up your local tennis club for advice on how to get started. There are different technologies to help make tennis more accessible for various disabilities, and you might just be able to find the right technology to enhance your tennis experience. For more information about adaptive tennis, check out “Love for Adaptive Tennis!” by Move United.

There is also a wonderfully supportive tennis community. Tennis veterans and younger stars alike continue to motivate the sport and the entire world to incorporate more inclusivity, equity, and equality in everyday life. Those I personally know in the tennis community are examples of such positivity in their everyday lives, as well. Being a part of a community that is striving to make the world a better place in this way is rejuvenating and inspiring.

Playing tennis comes with all these benefits and many more. Be safe, enjoy the benefits of tennis, and remember to have fun! Happy tennis-playing!

Lauren Taglienti is a writer of short stories, essays, articles, novels, and plays whose work has appeared in numerous publications. She is studying English and creative writing at Stony Brook University and interns for bestselling author and filmmaker Adriana Trigiani. Lauren is an open book who thrives when she is vulnerable because that is how she conquers her fears and connects with people. Her passions include health, wellness, self-improvement, being creative, helping others, and spreading the messages of empathy and kindness.
Cece Cruz

Stony Brook '21

President/Editor-in-Chief here at the Her Campus Stony Brook Chapter! I joined Her Campus in Spring 2018 as a Junior Writer and I am currently majoring in Journalism with a minor in Political Science. My personality is somewhere between Rachel Green and Phoebe Buffay. I call that balance. In my free time you can find me doing... I'm a college student, if I appear to have any free time I'm probably procrastinating.