Live Life According to Maya Angelou

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

When I was fourteen, my dad gave me a poetry book for Valentine’s day. I remember not being really impressed. I would’ve gladly taken a life-size teddy bear and some chocolates. Oh yes, definitely chocolates. But instead, he scribbled the words “May these poems touch your heart and soul….” and signed it “Dad.” It was The Complete Collected Poems of Maya Angelou. I don’t think I even knew who Maya Angelou was. (On my defense, it was only my second year in America.) Little did I know, this woman was going to make me fall utterly and unconditionally in love with her words and her style of life.

So how should we live life according to Maya Angelou? Here are some of the wisest words I’ve come across.

“What you’re supposed to do when you don’t like a thing is change it. If you can’t change it, change the way you think about it. Don’t complain.” 

“When people show you who they are, believe them the first time.”

I’m personally writing this one all over my walls.

“Jealousy in romance is like salt in food. A little can enhance the savor, but too much can spoil the pleasure and, under certain circumstances, can be life-threatening.”

Okay, yes. Salty foods definitely increase your blood pressure and your risk for heart disease anyway. 

“The woman warrior who is armed with wit and courage will be among the first to celebrate victory.”

Therefore, be strong and yet gentle, laugh as much as you can, and never let someone tell you you should only wear dresses and not pants.

And finally, the one we should seriously recite every morning…. 

Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor