The Life-Saving Instagram with Designer Brand Makeup Dupes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

We collegiettes can have pretty expensive interests, makeup being a common one that we indulge almost weekly. With quality brands out there like Anastasia Beverly Hills, Smashbox and Urban Decay, it’s no wonder that women shell out, on average, $15,000 in their lifetime on cosmetics. Thankfully, the popular Instagram @dupethat is around to show us that there are more affordable options to our favorite eyeshadow and lipstick shades while also offering discount codes for online purchases!The Insta is run by two ladies who call themselves “K & L”, on a mission to provide cheap dupes and introduce new products to their nearly 1 million followers. In their own words, “@dupethat is here to make sure you don’t spend your hard earned cash on a product that isn’t worthy of it.” @dupethat uploads high-quality photos that show the difference in texture and pigment of makeup products in both natural light and with camera flash. Many are near-perfect dupes to designer brands we drool over, like this essential nude above! @dupethat reviews other beauty products as well, with honest opinions and prices in the descriptions of the photos. Check out this delicious-looking body lotion and glittery candy corn bath bomb in the spirit of Halloween!

They also feature dupes discovered by users who tag their photos with the hashtag #dupethat. Being that both K & L are fair-skinned, having user-submitted photos is really important to help promote the representation of other skin colors. With all that excitement in mind, don’t forget to do your own research before you rush in and buy your favorite dupe! It’s important to check out if the makeup company you’re about to support tests on animals or has any other controversial practices that you don’t agree with. Your wallet will definitely thank you for keeping a few extra dollars in it, and you’ll certainly be confident wearing the gorgeous dupe that saved you that cash!

Shannon Blackler comes from Long Island, New York, and is involved in the Her Campus chapter at Stony Brook University. She has an interest in social activism, makeup and beauty, video games, and, naturally, cats.
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor