absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

MIDTERMS ARE COMING.

Midterms are federal elections held every two years that determine which political party holds the majority in Congress. Currently, Republicans hold control of both the House and Senate. The midterm elections are important because Congress is involved in lawmaking—writing, debating, and passing bills—and in representing the American people. Voting is your civic duty and something we should all exercise our right to do. By this simple act, we can help shape the future of the U.S. Before going to the polls on November 6th, make sure you know who to vote for!

Several positions are up for election. If you are registered at Stony Brook, this information pertains to you! Here are the candidates you should know before seeing them on your ballot.

Candidates for U.S. Senate New York

U.S. Senators write and vote on new laws while representing the people of their states.

Kirsten Gillibrand (D) (Incumbent) supports access to reproductive health care, empowering women and girls, improved healthcare benefits for 9/11 workers, standing with Israel, the DREAM Act and protecting the environment.

Chele Farley (R) supports investing in infrastructure, term limits for Congress, standing with Israel and addressing the opioid epidemic.

Candidates for U.S. House New York District 1

U.S. Representatives write and vote on new laws while representing the people of their districts.

Lee Zeldin (R) (Incumbent) aims to protect America’s security at home and abroad, help grow the economy and create more jobs, support veterans and first responders, improve the quality of education, repair infrastructure, improve healthcare in America and protect the environment.

Perry Gershon (D) supports protecting the environment, creating jobs and improving the economy, investing in infrastructure, tackling the opioid epidemic, preventing gun violence, protecting women’s healthcare, supporting veterans, immigration reform, equality and civil rights, and workers’ rights.

Patricia Latzman (Working Families Party)

Kate Browning (Women’s Equality Party)

Candidates for Governor of New York

Governor is the head of State, responsible for implementing State laws and overseeing the State Executive branch.

Andrew Cuomo (D) (Incumbent) has served as governor since 2011. He supports marriage equality, paid family leave, a fifteen dollar minimum wage, free college tuition for New York’s middle class, a ban on fracking, and gun safety laws.

Marc Molinaro (R) supports revitalizing the MTA, restoring the public trust in government, property tax relief, fostering economic growth, helping veterans, and making New York inclusive of people with disabilities.

Larry Sharpe (L)

Stephanie Miner (I)

Howie Hawkins (G)

Candidates for Lieutenant Governor of New York

Lieutenant Governor is second-in-command to the Governor.

Kathy Hochul (D) (Incumbent) supports the Affordable Care Act, a woman’s right to choose, and the LGBTQ rights, the fight for equality, working men and women of America and tax cuts for low and middle-income earners.

Julie Killian (R) supports tackling substance abuse, increasing awareness of mental illness, investing in infrastructure, protecting the environment and making New York inclusive of people with disabilities.

Andrew Hollister (L)

Michael Volpe (I)

Jia Lee (G)

Candidates for Attorney General of New York

Attorney General is both the State’s chief legal counsel, advising the Executive branch of State government, and the people’s lawyer, guarding the legal rights of New York citizens, organizations and natural resources.

Letitia James (D) aims to take on Wall Street abuses, protect immigrant rights, protect New Yorkers from gun violence, reform the criminal justice system, enforce access to reproductive healthcare, fight for gender equity in the workplace and protect the environment.

Keith Wofford (R) aims to fix New York’s “two big problems:” government corruption that costs New Yorkers jobs and opportunities and a horrible business environment that has driven away jobs and investments. He also hopes to tackle the opioid epidemic.

Nancy Sliwa (Reform Party)

Christopher B. Garvey (L)

Michael Sussman (G)

Candidates for New York Comptroller

Comptroller is the State’s chief fiscal officer who ensures that State and local governments use taxpayer money effectively and efficiently.

Thomas P. DiNapoli (D) (Incumbent) supports fighting public corruption, proper use of taxpayers’ dollars, government efficiency, and strengthening top public pension funds.

Jonathan Trichter (R) supports efficiency in State government, bringing fiscal responsibility to Albany, fair budgets, and saving New Yorker tax-dollars.

Cruger Gallaudet (L)

Mark Dunlea (G)

Candidates for New York State Senate District 2

State Senators make and pass bills that affect the people of their states. The State Senate is the upper house of the New York State Legislature.

John J. Flanagan (R) (Incumbent) supports budget reforms, capping state spending, helping first responders, increasing quality of education, tuition assistance for college, protecting New York children from drug abuse and supporting the disabled community.

Kathleen Cleary (D) supports access to reproductive health care, the New York Health Act, protecting the environment, funding for education, fighting opioid abuse, gun restrictions, ethical and campaign finance reform, the Child Victims Act and LGBT rights.

Candidates for New York State Assembly District 4

Assembly members pass bills that affect people throughout the state of New York. The Assembly is the lower house of the New York State Legislature.

Steven Englebright (D) (Incumbent) focuses on renewable energy, protecting the environment and combating the impacts of climate change.

Christian Kalinowski (R) will be on the ticket, but no information on his campaign could be found.

For more information on candidates, visit www.ontheissues.org, www.ballotpedia.org, or https://votesmart.org, where you can see how candidates who previously held office have voted in the past.

If you believe you are registered to vote and are told by your polling place that you’re not, request an affidavit ballot, or provisional ballot. If there was a mistake where your name should have been listed, vote by affidavit ballot and your vote will count.

If you are looking for more ways to practice civic engagement, sign a petition, call a representative, participate in a march, learn more about other people’s views, and speak up for what you believe in.

Voting will be held in SAC Ballroom B on November 6th from 6:00 AM – 9:00 PM. Once you’ve read up on the candidates, you can make an informed choice. So, go out and vote!

Julie Truncali

Stony Brook '21

Stony Brook University Class of 2021 Civil Engineering Major New York Farm Girl
The collgiette's online guide to life in seawolf country.