Karen Espinoza of the SBU Basketball Managerial Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Name: Karen Espinoza

Year: Sophomore

Major: Biology (Switching into Athletic Training)

Hometown: Medford, NY

How did you get involved with joining the basketball managerial team?

Karen: “I was looking for an internship or volunteer opportunity on campus and I found an opening randomly for a managerial position. I am really interested in sports and working with athletes. I love basketball, it’s my favorite sport, so I love that I get to watch the game courtside. I’ve made good friends on the team and with the staff, so it really worked out for me. I also get to travel with the team, on occasion, which is a lot of fun.”

What else are you involved with on campus?

Karen: “I am currently on the field hockey club team and I wanted to join for fun. I really enjoy it even though I’ve never learned the rules or played competitively before. I also attend practices but don’t play competitively for the club soccer team. I like to be active and play sports with my friends, too” Karen, right, with her friends. 

Do you have any other interests outside of those endeavors?

Karen: “I volunteer at the Stony Brook Hospital, March of Dimes, and I sometimes work at a nursing home.” 

Favorite moment at Stony Brook so far?

Karen: “Spending Homecoming with my all friends.” 

Journalism major and freshman Traveler, writer and photographer Lover of all things Paris
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor