bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Finishing high school is difficult, getting into college is difficult, surviving all four years is difficult, but knowing what you want to do for the rest of your life is the most difficult thing you may face. For some people, they know want they want to do from a very young age and I really admire that. But I also admire those who don’t know what they love and want to do with their lives because I was one of them.

I changed my major four times in the past 3 years, going from biochemistry to economics to computer science and to biology. Apart from the hit my gpa took, I don’t regret anything about my decisions. I was so confused and sometimes so upset that I kept changing my mind and could not stick to one thing like most people around me. It’s frustrating and you might feel like there’s something wrong with you but there’s not. It might have taken me a while to understand this, but I realized if I didn’t make these whimsical choices; 10 years down the line I probably would have regretted not experiencing something different. I’m glad I gave myself the chance to try out different fields before settling for something I honestly enjoy.

So, if you’re in a similar situation; know that it’s okay not to know. There’s so many people who change their career in their 30’s, 40’s or whenever they feel like it. So, you should never feel like you have to make a decision and it will set on stone. Cause there’s so much opportunity and so many possibilities that it’ll be foolish to not let yourself experience it. Never doubt yourself or regret your choices, because even if they went wrong; you’ll know you learnt something from it.

“It’s not the destination, it’s the journey”, I think we all hear this a lot but at one point you do realize how relatable the saying is. There’s no one way to do something so find your own way, and take as much time as you would like.

Rushnan Islam

Stony Brook '20

Rushnan is currently a senior Biology major at Stony Brook University. She loves coffee, books, writing, and city-hopping (in that order)!
Forever in search of the next fashion trend and my delicious next meal.  Inspired by Blake Lively, Cardi B and Ina Garten. In love with food, fashion and long car rides. Not a fan of ketchup, sunburns and the smell of fresh cut grass