This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Have you ever wondered why you all of a sudden notice an item in a room that has been there for so long? An item that you have subconsciously seen very often, but it only stands out on specific occasions. 

Just the other day, I was at the gym and I noticed a sign on the wall that said, “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.” Now, I work out at this gym at least three times a week, and I have never taken notice as to what the sign said. I always knew it was hanging up on the wall, but I never took the time to acknowledge it and read it. 

I think that this situation happens often, at least for me it does. I will go into a familiar place and notice something new that I have never seen before. For example, I have been working at my job for over four years and I just recently discovered a dollar bill hanging on the wall which symbolizes the first dollar the restaurant ever made. Also, even more recently and kind of embarrassing was that I just noticed that there is a picture of angels hanging in my bathroom. I have used this bathroom every day for the last 15 years, and I never knew there was a picture in there. 

The reason I am writing this article, is not to tell you about all the embarrassing things I have never noticed, but to show that sometimes these items, we think we have never seen but have always been there, are presenting themselves at the right time in our lives. Now trust me, I didn’t believe it faith and signs and all that stuff, but the sign I read in the gym came to me at such a perfect time in my life, that I do believe I was meant to see it when I did. 

Earlier that day, I was so upset with myself because I wanted to raise my hand in class and participate in the discussion, but I was too nervous. I left the classroom feeling defeated and mad at myself for not just pushing through and raising my hand anyway, despite what I was feeling. Later in the day, I decided to go to the gym to release the anger and anxiety I was feeling and at the end of my workout I noticed that quote. Again, I go to the gym at least three times a week and I have never noticed it or acknowledged the sign before that day. I feel, that I was meant to see that sign to realize that I need to be pushed outside of my comfort zone. 

Through an insignificant sign on the gym wall, I found so much meaning. Since that day, I have made a conscious effort to be aware of my surroundings and really look at what’s around me every day. 

I encourage everyone to do the same. When you have free time, look around a room you are familiar with and I bet something will stand out to you in the moment, that was unimportant to you in the past.  

Gifs Courtesy of Giphy.com

Lauren Dykstra

Stony Brook '21

Lauren is a current senior at Stony Brook University majoring in Political Science. She will also be receiving her MBA at Stony Brook through the Accelerated Masters Program. She loves to travel, listen to music and play with her dogs!
Cece Cruz

Stony Brook '21

President/Editor-in-Chief here at the Her Campus Stony Brook Chapter! I joined Her Campus in Spring 2018 as a Junior Writer and I am currently majoring in Journalism with a minor in Political Science. My personality is somewhere between Rachel Green and Phoebe Buffay. I call that balance. In my free time you can find me doing... I'm a college student, if I appear to have any free time I'm probably procrastinating.