Interviews: The Dos and Don’ts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Got an upcoming interview for an internship? Or maybe you’re looking for a seasonal job. Whatever the case may be, there will be an interview. Here are some dos and don’ts you should definitely consider for your next interview:

The Dos:

Research common interview questions

Can you tell me a little about yourself? What are some of your strengths and weaknesses?

On the day of the Interview, arrive early

Prepare to arrive 10 to 15 minutes before your interview. 

Dress appropriately

Avoid wearing too casual attire or anything that is too revealing.Research the company and the position you’re applying for

Give a firm handshake and make eye contact!

The Don’ts:

Dress too casually

Leave the leggings at home and stay away from anything that’s too revealing.

Arrive late

Lie

Always give honest answers.

Say that you don’t have any questions

Always, always. Always ask questions. Some common questions could be: What should an intern expect to get out of this position? What have you enjoyed most about working here?

Tiffany is a senior at Stony Brook University majoring in Business Management. She’s an avid chocolate lover, enjoys traveling, taking pictures and baking. One day she aspires to speak Spanish fluently.
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor