This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

An account of my experience getting out of my comfort zone. 

(Pictured above: Catfish and the Bottlemen at Hammerstein Ballroom, 09/26/2019) 

I am sure that I’m not alone in saying that there are few things in this world that I love more than music. I particularly enjoy going to concerts to see my favorite artists, live. I recall that some of the most memorable and enjoyable shows I have been to, e.g. Logic and Arctic Monkeys, I attended with close friends. In my experience, the enjoyment that I attributed to live music went hand in hand with jamming out with lifelong friends. There have been times, however, when I wanted to see a certain artist and my friends simply weren’t interested in their music or just weren’t available. The latter issue became more frequent after starting college, whereupon we all went our separate ways. 

(Pictured above: NF at Terminal 5, 10/16/2018) 

When I learned that one of my favorite bands, Catfish and the Bottlemen, was coming to New York City again, I knew that I had to attend their show. I had already seen them once before, this past April, so I was expecting another epic concert. I was already aware that none of my friends were available that night. Thus, I began to consider the logistics of going by myself. I didn’t want to come across as some lonely, friendless, weirdo to other concert-goers but I also didn’t want to miss out on a wonderful experience. I wondered if I’d even be able to have fun on my own, instead of paying sixty dollars only to put myself in an awkward situation.

(Pictured above: Catfish and the Bottlemen at Brooklyn Steel, 04/03/2019) 

I had almost entirely psyched myself out of going to the concert. I was so certain that if I went, people would think that I was weird, I wouldn’t have a good time and to top it all off I would end up getting kidnapped. However, during my deliberation I ended up speaking to a close friend of mine who, as luck would have it, had just gone to a solo concert for the first time. When she told about the wonderful experience that she had had regardless of the fact that she was by herself, I knew that I was making a mistake in not doing the same.

So, I obviously ended up going to the show and it turned out to be the most memorable one to date. Although I was majorly out of my comfort zone, being on my own meant that I had a level of independence. I was able to move freely, interact with strangers, make friends and most importantly, lose myself in the music. I am so glad and relieved that I didn’t chicken out of going and ended up with a memory for a lifetime. It is one thing to do something you love by yourself, it is another to do something you love with yourself. 

Amrit Nasiruddin

Stony Brook '22

Reader. Melophile. Lover of adventure. Junior. Philosophy Major. Premed student.
Cece Cruz

Stony Brook '21

President/Editor-in-Chief here at the Her Campus Stony Brook Chapter! I joined Her Campus in Spring 2018 as a Junior Writer and I am currently majoring in Journalism with a minor in Political Science. My personality is somewhere between Rachel Green and Phoebe Buffay. I call that balance. In my free time you can find me doing... I'm a college student, if I appear to have any free time I'm probably procrastinating.