I Tried A Non-Starbucks Coffee Shop: New York Beanery

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Starbucks gives life to millions of consumers every week, but convenience doesn’t beat supporting local businesses and stepping out of the box when it comes to your daily routine! I had a day off from work, so I decided to take my mom to a coffee shop called New York Beanery that recently opened one town over from ours. I hadn’t heard anything about it, but I had driven past it so many times that I grew curious, especially when they advertised bubble tea on their sidewalk sign, something I first enjoyed at Stony Brook University’s Wang Center.

I fell instantly in love with how cozy and cute the inside looked, still decorated festively for the holidays. There were a few patrons settled in with newspapers and their drinks of choice and a young woman who worked there was setting up some food for photographing; it all seemed very familiar and comfortable. (Psst- the delicious photos can be seen on their Facebook!)

They have a handwritten menu with some winter specials; I was super intrigued by the handcrafted soda bit, but then the barista recommended the Vanilla Honey Chai Latte as a popular choice; I love chai lattes, so I was all for that right away. There’s also a larger menu along the right wall full of teas. They label what is organic and caffeine-free, so making your choice is even easier. That White Coconut Creme is going to be my next pick!

My mouth was watering with all of these goodies and treats; I hadn’t eaten yet that day and it all looked so good, especially that awesome rainbow bagel!

I ended up ordering a cannoli because whenever I see them, there’s this instant attraction thing going on and I can’t resist. It was as delicious as I hoped it would be and paired well with my latte. My mom ordered an Americano, which she enjoyed as well.

The barista was very sweet and personable, serving us our drinks in big white mugs. We relaxed and chatted there for around an hour; I indulged in the foamy, cinnamon-sprinkled goodness of my latte for a longggg time.

I definitely recommend that you try New York Beanery if you’re ever in the Amityville area! They also have a website where you can check out their hours and their menu. I know I’ll be coming back with my friends very soon. Thank you, New York Beanery, for a great first visit!  

Shannon Blackler comes from Long Island, New York, and is involved in the Her Campus chapter at Stony Brook University. She has an interest in social activism, makeup and beauty, video games, and, naturally, cats.
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor