I Tried Mindfulness-Based Stress Management and Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

When 2016 started, my new year’s resolution was to try new things. At the start of the spring semester, I received an email advertising an opportunity to become a certified teaching assistant at The Center for Mindful-Based Stress Management right here at Stony Brook. I had absolutely no clue what mindfulness was or what it entailed, but I saw this chance as a gift-wrapped opportunity from the universe that would allow me to try something new. So I signed up for the program, learned what Mindfulness was, and got my certification. Here’s what I learned.   

What is Mindfulness?

There are few different explanations of what Mindfulness is. The best one I found defines Mindfulness as, “…a meditative approach to relieving stress, worry and anxiety based on fostering a moment-by-moment awareness of a person’s thoughts, feelings and bodily sensations.” Basically, Mindfulness encourages you to forget the past, to stop worrying about the future and to instead focus on the present moment.

How Does Mindfulness Relieve Stress?

Mindfulness asks you to redefine your relationship with time. By living in the present, the worry, stress and anxiety that come with thinking about the planning the future and contemplating disappear. By immersing yourself in the present moment and riding yourself of time-based anxiety, you’ll ensure that you won’t miss the opportunity, positivity and beauty that exists in the moment that is right in front of you. Immersion in the present moment is achieved through guided meditation.

What Was My Experience Like?

The 8-week program I enrolled in required attendance at weekly meetings in which we would participate in a new guided meditation every session. We received paper copies of the script our instructor read and were instructed to go over each different meditation exercise on our own with each exercise being done at a certain point in the day. In order to successfully graduate, we had to take on the role of instructor and teach Mindfulness to a peer.  

Does It Work?

Yes, but there are some catches. You have to want it to work and you have to believe in the method. If you don’t give 100%, you’re not going to get anything out of it. As the method is based on meditation, you’ll have to be ok with simply sitting and remaining silent for long periods of time. The most important elements are commitment and practice. Commit to practicing your meditation exercises every day. Practice makes perfect; the more you practice the easier it will be to clear your mind and focus on the here and now. The more you focus, the less stressed you’ll be. How Do I Get Started?

My instructor offers the course to Stony Brook for free. You can find his website here. There are also YouTube videos, Ted Talks, websites, books and apps that can help you on your journey.

Have fun living in the moment!

Proud Long Island Native. Psychology major and Writing minor. Passionate about writing, helping others, promoting positivity and telling stories that make a difference.
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor