How Volunteering Can Impact Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Photo Courtesy of Emily Richters from ASBO

This Spring Break, I volunteered with Stony Brook’s Alternative Spring Break Outreach (ASBO) and it was an amazing experience. We traveled to Clearwater, Florida for the week to help build and paint houses created by Habitats for Humanity. I recommend the trip for anyone who enjoys volunteering. Personally, I’ve been an avid volunteer since high school and all the experiences have been rewarding in different ways. Volunteering is a great way to put yourself out there and can have a meaningful impact on your life.

1. You have an impact on other people’s lives.

One of the rewards of volunteering is knowing that you’ve helped another person out whether that be directly or indirectly. It’s important to recognize that not everyone is as fortunate or has as many privileges as you. There are people who need help with basic needs such as food and shelter and it doesn’t take a lot to lend a hand! By donating your time, you have a tremendous impact on the ones that you are helping even if it’s just a small task.

2. You learn new skills.

I’ve learned a few things about construction from the ASBO trip like what caulk is and how to apply it. To come to think of it, when and where else would I have learned such skills? Volunteering is an opportunity to gain abilities you didn’t even know you had! You can learn a lot from volunteering supervisors and use what you’ve learned in the future. You never know what might come in handy.​

3. You get to explore new places.

I’ve visited Florida only once for Disneyland. If it wasn’t for volunteering, I wouldn’t have discovered the nice, little town of Clearwater. The houses are so cute and the people there are extremely friendly. Although you don’t have to travel out of state to volunteer, my point is that you can volunteer anywhere. It’s exciting to find new places and new people. ​

4. You meet so many different people.

Not only did I meet other Stony Brook students on the ASBO trip, but I also met local volunteers and some pretty chill volunteer supervisors. The volunteer population is full of diversity and I am grateful to have met a group of people so different yet so similar to each other. Through volunteering, you meet a wide range of people and learn a lot from them. There are endless possibilities to make friends and connections.​

5. It shows others your compassion.

Most students I know volunteer because it’s a part of a requirement or because it looks good on a resume. Why does it look good? It shows that you care about your community and that you are willing to spend your time doing other things rather than studying. It shows that you are willing to put yourself out there!

Whatever the motives are, volunteering is always a good idea. It’s an inspiring way to spend your time and help others who are less fortunate. Overall, being a volunteer comes with a lot of benefits for yourself and for the people who you’re helping. I’ve gained a lot from my volunteering experiences and you can, too.

Gifs courtesy of Giphy

Junior Health Science Major
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor