This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

With the Holiday season now upon us, everyone knows it’s time to start shopping for gifts. Black Friday has become the annual kickoff tradition, with people scrambling to secure the best deals on various products, from giant flat screen TVs to children’s toys. And the shopping doesn’t end there, oh no, it continues well into the rest of December as people check off names on the list of relatives, friends, and significant others for whom they need to buy gifts.​

If you’re anything like me, you might struggle a bit with finding the “right” gift for the people in your life. If you’re buying for someone you’ve known for only a short time, how will you know they’ll even like what you pick out? And for those you’ve known already for quite a long time, how are you supposed to think of something even more original than before, and not only that, but something they’ll actually enjoy and find useful?

If you’re feeling stumped, here’s how to find gifts that don’t seem forced, meaningless, or unoriginal.

Find something that will be useful to their everyday life.

Too often, people make the mistake of buying a generic gift that is neither useful nor reflects the recipient’s interests.

Instead, think about what the person does and what they might use on a daily basis. Buying a gift for your friend who loves to bake? Consider the different baking materials and supplies they already own and think about getting something they don’t have.

It sounds very simple, but it can make a world of difference in your gift-giving when you consider what people use in their everyday lives. Getting a useful gift for someone shows that you want to make their daily tasks a little easier and more enjoyable, and who doesn’t want that?

Think about experiences you’ve shared with them in the past.

If you’re getting a gift for this person, chances are you like them and the two of you have shared some memorable experiences before. Think back to what you’ve done together — maybe you’ve gone rock climbing? Went to a concert? Shared some hilarious, random experience that you’ve never gone through with anyone else?

Drawing on the past can open up a wealth of opportunities, as you can think of things that you have in common or capitalize on some inside joke that the two of you share. Doing so will show the other person that you care about your memories with them, which can lead to a very heartwarming and meaningful gift.​

Make or create something on your own.

The perfect gift doesn’t always have to be something store-bought. Sometimes gifts mean a lot more when they’re personally made by you.

If you’re crafty, you might want to give something you’ve made as a gift, perhaps a painting, a sculpture, or a hand-knit sweater. You can even go the simple (yet highly touching) route of writing a personal letter or card to express your love and gratitude for that person.

Gifting something that you’ve created not only shows that you put a lot of time, effort, and thought into it, but also that you’re giving a little bit of yourself. What more could they ask for?

Kailey Walters

Stony Brook '19

I'm a simple girl. My idea of a good time is a quiet night with friends or curling up with a good book. Some of my other favorite things include running, swimming, people watching, and of course, writing what I know. Currently an English and Psychology double major with a Creative Writing minor, graduation bound in spring 2019!
The collgiette's online guide to life in seawolf country.