How to Survive the Mid Semester Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Now that Thanksgiving break is approaching, midterms may seem to consume the entirety of your week. However, this doesn’t have to be the case! Instead of allowing your life to be restricted by your classes, it is important to learn how to thrive physically, emotionally and socially during times ridden with stress. Here are some tips that you can use to help you survive the mid-semester blues:

1. Create a productivity tracker

This useful tool can be in the form of a Google calendar, an Excel spreadsheet, a physical list of tasks you can check off, or even through apps such as Everhour, Timely, or Hourstack. Use this to help stay on schedule! Don’t be afraid to a lot scheduled time for meals, or personal time.

2. Have a spa day

Take one day a week to really focus on your physical health. Maybe do a face mask or get your nails done. The goal of this is to help you pay attention to your body’s wellbeing despite the emphasis you may be placing on mental tasks.

3. Go to the gym

Exercising promotes the release of endorphins which can significantly improve one’s mood and aid in alleviating stress. Through maintaining your physical health, your emotional overall health will improve while allowing for an escape from studying.

4. Attend a club meeting

While it may be easy to simply avoid club meetings for a long period of time, it is detrimental to your social health to not engage regularly in these environments. Try to attend at the least one club meeting during this hectic time period in order to retain a sense of normalcy. Maybe even bring along some friends to make this a group social outing.

5. Keep a journal

This journal can be used to write down your feelings during this stressful time which is a productive means of handling your emotions. You can customize this journal to reflect your personality through adding drawings, making personalized additions such as a daily horoscope or even through adding a colorable mood wheel for each day of the months. A great YouTuber one can reference if they are just beginning to learn about journaling is Boho Berry, who makes videos about planning and maintaining a journal.

I hope you use these tips to help turn the mid semester blues into mid semester happiness and productivity! Remember that you should always come first in your life. There is no responsibility, midterm, or commitment that should ever take priority over your own health despite what you may think in this moment. Through using this list as an outline, one can begin to implement time to prioritize their own wellbeing into a hectic schedule. Please take time to value yourself from now on until the end of this semester, you are so important!

Gifs courtesy gify.com

Sarah Kelly

Stony Brook '22

Biology major - WISE program member Free spirt with a love for painting, Harry potter fan, and a competitive mukbanger in the dinning hall. My motto this semester: Plankton, "That's it, mister, you just lost your brain privileges!"
The collgiette's online guide to life in seawolf country.