Wellness

How To Stay Healthy While Being a Busy Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Ever get anxious when things get busy and you feel discouraged staying healthy? You’re not alone on this one. But, I’m here to help you keep on track!

1. Make water your best friend. 

This one is vital. Staying extra hydrated is the best thing to keep you fresh and clean. Water may not seem that important, but it’s something you should always have with you whether you’re sitting in class all day or busy running errands. If you never have a bottle on you, check out your local Marshall’s for a cute one. They have all kinds of styles depending how big you want it, or if you want an insulated vs plastic one. Make it a habit to fill your bottle as much as possible.​

2. Eat your meals the right way. 

Growing up my mom always reminded me to eat breakfast like a king, and dinner like a peasant. Keep your portions lower towards the end of the day, closer to when you go to bed. Eating breakfast in the morning is extremely important to get your metabolism started, and eating big in the morning gives your body all day to digest the food and keep you energized for the whole day. I know it’s hard to eat breakfast when it’s not on the top of the list of things you need to get ready for the day, but squeezing it in will make a difference. If you feel like you don’t have time to prepare anything, stay simple and stick to fruits, granola and yogurts, oatmeal, and eggs. If it helps, preparing a meal the night before always helps. Pack healthy snacks into your backpack/purse so that you don’t feel the urge to buy any chips or quick empty calorie snacks. If you don’t know how to eat clean and you feel iffy about anything you’re going to put into your body, just Google it! Check the calories and the nutritional value and learn from there.

3. There’s no need to be a gym rat, but make time for working out. 

Most people think that it’s impossible to get into shape without dedicating all your time to the gym. But the reality is that your results from your habits are 80% due to what you eat, and the other 20% consists of your physical activity. Even getting a quick 30-minute workout in every day is perfectly fine. You don’t have to do any specific activity to get that dream body either! You just need to do what makes you feel good and what gets your blood pumping. And if you don’t know what that is, start small! Join a spin class or try a HIIT workout you found online. Whatever it is, try your best at it and get a feel for it from there.

4. Staying healthy includes your mentality. 

Being healthy should be part of your lifestyle to feel good, not to punish yourself for having one meal that wasn’t completely clean. You’re never going to be perfect with how you eat, but there’s no fun in being perfect. You’re allowed to eat whatever you want and you should eat whatever you want! Do you want that burger? Yeah, same. One meal isn’t going to damage your lifestyle. When you feel discouraged or bloated at night, drink a cup of tea and keep yourself hydrated and going. Every day is a new one and as long as you have a healthy mentality, the rest will follow. 

Gifs courtesy of Giphy and PopSugar. 

Hailey Greif

Stony Brook '20

Hailey is a junior studying at Stony Brook University to receive her bachelors degree in Psychology with a concentration in Marketing. She is hoping to move onto grad school to receive her doctorate in I-O Psychology. Fingers crossed for this gal. She was born and raised on Long Island, NY.
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor