This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Winter can wreak havoc on one’s skin; between the frequently changing weather to the stress from the semester. However, skin is the largest organ of the human body, so it is important to take care of it! Here are some suggestions on how to get your skin back into balance while you wait out these cold months.

Peach and Lily KBeauty Rescue Balm. This is the go-to if you have overly dry skin. When applied it does make your skin look shiny and it is slightly sticky but in the morning it will help heal the dry skin patches. I noticed an improvement on my face the very next day. 

Cleansers:

Cleansing is an important part of anyone’s skin routine making sure you wash away the dirt, sweat and makeup is really the first step to ensure healthy skin. 

If you are looking for a foaming cleanser Kylie Skin has an amazing foaming cleanser. It works like magic on any blemishes I have. It isn’t overly drying or irritating. 

However, foaming cleansers can be drying to the skin so if your skin is already dry you may want to opt for a more moisturizing cleanser. 

Tula beauty has a wonderful gel cleanser called The Cult Classic Purifying Face Cleanser

I love to use it in the second part of my cleansing routine. It is moisturizing and has probiotics. My skin always feels very moisturized after using it and never dry or tight. 

Moisturizers: 

Thrive Causemetics just released their new moisturizer called Defying Gravity Transforming Moisturizer. It helps to lift your skin and smooth wrinkles. It has one of my favorite beauty ingredients, Sea Buckthorn and it has an amazing orange smell. I noticed it helped with redness and evened out my skin tone as well. The dispenser is great and easy to use.

Sephora has a new moisturizer! Their Sephora Collection: Illuminating Hydrator- Radiance + Smoothing is made to illuminate the skin, with ingredients like moringa and rose hip oil. I definitely noticed the difference with my skin when I used this and it’s quickly become one of my favorite moisturizers. It is easy to apply and is absorbed quickly. 

Peach & Lilly have a wonderful K beauty Match Pudding Antioxidant Mask. It is green, which as we all know helps combat redness. It is light weight and helps to fight free radicals and to tighten your skin. A little goes a long way with this moisturizer and don’t forget to distribute the product evenly.

Masks: 

Super Reboot Resurfacing Mask from Peach and Lily: This mask is one of my favorites! My face and pores feel so clean and refreshed after using this. It resurfaces and re-texturizes the skin. The consistency is similar to a jelly and is non-irritating, and amazing to use. I can’t recommend this enough!

First aid beauty: Ultra Repair Instant Oatmeal Mask is an amazing mask, especially if you have eczema as it contains colloidal oatmeal which calms the skin and also moisturizes it at the same time. 

Tools:

Sephora has a number of beauty tools that are great.

Rose Quartz Eye Mask: This mask is made entirely out of rose quartz stone and it’s beautiful.

Here I am chillaxing for about 20 minutes while listening to one of my favorite movies. I noticed my skin actually looked brighter after use.  

Cupping has been done in spas for years and now you can do it at home . Sephora has a cupping set that they call their Face and Body Massage Set. You get three sizes; extra small, small and medium. You put on oil or a cream first and then use the cupping devices. It is definitely a weird feeling but you get used to it quickly. 

They also have skin care brushes to help you apply and massage the products into your skin called The Cleanse and Treat Skincare Brush Set. The good thing about this is that you don’t have to worry about your hands being dirty and the tools have different brush shapes which help to massage in the products.

Lips:

Lips are often neglected in our skin routines, but no one wants to have rough or dry lips!

Kylie Skin has a great Hydrating Lip Mask. You can use it as a mask overnight or as a gloss. At night I love to really pile it on and while I often have to wipe off the residue in the morning, my lips feel extremely soft.

Thrive Causemetics just released a new lip product: Liquid Balm Lip Treatment. It is clear and I noticed in the first use my lips started to look plumper and more moisturized. It contains Vitamin B5 and Vitamin E to help replenish and retain moisture as well as sooth and provide antioxidant to your lips respectfully.

If you want the moisture without sacrificing a beauty look, IBY beauty has a wonderful moisturizing glosses called Gloss’d Up Lip Topper.  They are full of glitter and are also moisturizing. It is infused with coconut oil and keeps your lips soft while adding some glitter to your look. 

If you are looking for a stick balm  then you may want to check out  Petite N Pretty’s Glo$$ Balm Glossy Lip Balm. It comes in six shades: including clear, blue, bronze and a pinkish/purple. It goes on smooth and leaves your lips feeling very soft. It also has a great scent. 

If you are someone who suffers from acne or the occasional break out you don’t want to ignore them. Obviously, if you take medication for acne make sure to check with your doctor before using anything over the counter or additional products. 

However, many people just use over the counter and not prescriptions.

For topical uses, Starface Hydro-Stars is a fun new way to treat acne. The medication is on stars which act as stickers that you place on your skin. They are fun to use and they work very well.  As you can see below, I had a classic pimple and decided to try this out. Six hours later it went down significantly and was just a little red! 

Clean & Clear has a wonderful cream called Clean & Clear Essentials Dual Action Facial Moisturizer. It contains salicylic acid .5%, and is free of sulfates, oil, paraben and dyes. It is in a cream form and isn’t over drying.

If you still aren’t sure what product you may need for acne/skin Hims and Hers are brands that have a variety of items including prescription strength skin care, and over the counter items. What makes this brand unique is that for the items that require a prescription they can actually help get you set up for an online visit with a provider in your state so you don’t even have to leave your bed. Hims morning Glow is a great Vitamin C product that helps to even out your skin tone and bonus it smells like maple syrup! For those of you that take collagen supplement to help your skin glow and keep its’ elasticity, Hers has a Collagen Peptide Powder in  three flavors, unflavored vanilla and chocolate. They are so delicious, especially chocolate! It is so easy to mix into a breakfast shake or for a snack. 

Hope these products helps you with remaining cold days ahead!

I love writing about beauty, entertainment, fashion and accessories and more. I love musicals, singing, movies and all things beauty including hair! I've acted in movies, sung opera and won pageants. I also write fiction and many of my stories have been featured in anthologies.
Cece Cruz

Stony Brook '21

President/Editor-in-Chief here at the Her Campus Stony Brook Chapter! I joined Her Campus in Spring 2018 as a Junior Writer and I am currently majoring in Journalism with a minor in Political Science. My personality is somewhere between Rachel Green and Phoebe Buffay. I call that balance. In my free time you can find me doing... I'm a college student, if I appear to have any free time I'm probably procrastinating.