How to the Create Perfect Homemade Spa Basket for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Searching for the perfect gift for your girls without breaking your budget? Are you creative and willing to make the gift yourself? Here’s a gift guide for everything you need to make a homemade spa basket. You want to give your friends and family something special so what’s better than something that’s going to help them relax and unwind from their busy lives?

Now, if you’re very busy, too and don’t have time to hand-make candles, soaps, and bath bombs, it’s perfectly okay to buy these items readymade and put them together in a beautiful basket. If you are DIYing, you can find many of the ingredients you need at your local craft store. Personalization is totally up to you.

Here are some suggestions for your spa-themed holiday basket. 

1. The Basket

I suggest buying or making these after you’ve gathered all of your ingredients because you don’t want to end up with a small basket and too many goodies.Remember, you’ll also need basket filler, basket plastic with ribbons to tie it all up. I also recommend getting cute cards so you can write her a special letter and let her know exactly what she’s getting in her spa basket.

2. Fluffy Socks

Perfect for keeping toes warm and toasty! If you are good at sewing, weaving, etc. feel free to make these if possible. I do recommend actually purchasing the socks, as making them could be time-consuming and they are relatively cheap to buy.

3. Bath Bombs

Full of essentials oils and salts, bath bombs will help her senses relax as well as promote healthy healing of the skin.

What You Need if You’re DIYing:

• Epsom salts
  • Your choice of essential oil
  • Coconut oil
  • Baking soda
  • Bath bomb mold
  • Optional: dried rose or lavender petals
  • Optional: food coloring for color

4. Bath Salts

If bath bombs are too complicated, bath salts will heal and moisturize the skin just as well.

What You Need if You’re DIYing:

• Epsom salts
  • Pink Himalayan sea salt
  • Your choice of essential oil
  • Small glass jars to store them
  • Optional: crushed oats

5. Soap

Homemade soaps smell amazing and she will appreciate it, even more, knowing you made it yourself with wholesome ingredients.

What You Need If You’re DIYing:

• Coconut oil
  • Clear soap base
  • Your choice of essential oils
  • Plastic mold tray/ cookie tray
  • Optional: dried lavender or rose petals

6. Dark Chocolate

Dark Chocolate has so many health benefits and it’s so rich and tasty.

7. Nail File

She can never have enough of these!

Optional: throw in a bottle of nail polish

8. Candles

Candles will give the bath an ambiance and a calming feel.

What You Need if You’re DIYing:

• Candle wax
  • Candle wicks
  • Glass Jars

9. Add Something Special for Her

If you’re making multiple baskets, throw in something specific to the person you’re giving to. Aside from using scents and oils that she’d like, throwing in something special for that particular person adds a nice touch. Maybe throw in her favorite snack for your best friend or a charming necklace for your mom.

While you’re busy taking care of everyone else, don’t forget to make a basket for yourself. Sometimes we, as women, get so carried away taking care of everyone and we forget to treat ourselves. So, this holiday, make sure you that while you share your love with those around you, share some love with yourself.

Reena Khan

Stony Brook

Name: Reena Khan Year: Senior Major: English with Journalism Minor Hometown: Valley Stream, NY What does being on the Her Campus Stony Brook team mean to you?: I can work with a community of beautiful and diverse women to share our stories, raise our voices, and bring each other together through writing. HerCampus represents the unification of women and there's nothing I appreciate more! Where do you want to be in 5 years? Hopefully living somewhere tropical with a beautiful, big family! Why are you proud to be a Seawolf?: Being a Seawolf means that I'm a part of something much bigger than myself and that I have a purpose and duty to my college community. 
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor