photo 1569047558457 3dfb5b7a8c17jpeg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
photo 1569047558457 3dfb5b7a8c17jpeg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Style > Beauty

How @caveofbeaty on Twitter Saved My Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Like most people, I have struggled with acne for years. From the first breakout in middle school, up until a few months ago, my skin was in a constant cycle of breaking out and “clearing up” again. I tried all types of products, all types of brands – from cheap pharmacy products  to higher end products given to me by my mom. And unfortunately, I also took advice from “skincare twitter” – and used black soap, witch hazel, and shea butter on my FACE.

Needless to say, none of these things worked out well for my skin. And even if my skin temporarily cleared up, it was always only a matter of time until it began to break out again. That is, until a few months ago, when I discovered Lily Njoroge, better known as @caveofbeauty on Twitter.

Njore is a licensed esthetician based in New York City, founder of the skincare blog caveofbeauty.com  and owner of her own spa, Skin Wins Spa, in Long Island City, NY. She gives out FREE skincare advice on twitter- and unlike random people on twitter, she is educated, licensed, and informed. Not only does Njore recommend skincare products, she explains why they work by delving into the specific ingredients and their effects on one’s skin.

I am only one of thousands whose skin has literally been saved by her advice. Ever since reading the threads written by Njare on skincare ingredients for specific problems, my skin has never looked better.  And for the first time, actually understand why the products I am using are working. I also know what ingredients to look for when I’m buying a skincare product for a certain reason.

For instance, I now know to look for hyaluronic acid in any facial moisturizer I buy. I know about the different types of exfoliating acids – AHAs, BHAs, etc. and the different effects and recommended use for products containing these ingredients.  I know the importance of moisture in a skincare routine, how to use exfoliate to help with acne and textured skin.

Now, instead of just taking the label of a skincare product at face value, I can look at the ingredient list and know which ingredients to look for.

Thanks to her, I am better enabled to take care of my skin.

Ever since I read her advice and put into application, my skin has never been clearer or looked healthier. If you have struggled with acne or other skin concerns and nothing seems to work, I recommend checking out her twitter page. If you’re a skincare nerd, you might learn something new.

But if you’re like I was – and you don’t know the first thing about skin care and just shooting in the dark, trying products and crossing your fingers hoping they work- then her page and advice is just what you need.

Ebony Thompson

Stony Brook '22

Hi! My name is Ebony Thompson and I’m an English major at Stony Brook University. My interests are mental health, books and creative writing, and pop culture. You can follow me on Instagram at @ebony.mt.
Forever in search of the next fashion trend and my delicious next meal.  Inspired by Blake Lively, Cardi B and Ina Garten. In love with food, fashion and long car rides. Not a fan of ketchup, sunburns and the smell of fresh cut grass