kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Herbal Teas to Save Your Soul

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Herbal teas, unlike black and green teas, are brewed from spices, fruits, barks, flowers, and other natural herbs. So forget medicine! A simple herbal tea might do the trick for your minor ailments and soothe the soul all at once. And did I mention they’re delicious?

Many of these herbal teas are inexpensive and can be purchased at your local Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, or any other herbal food store. They’re best to drink without milk or sugar. If you have a sweet tooth, a bit of honey is perfectly fine.

If you’re new to holistic healing, here are some basic herbal teas to get you started. 

1. Hibiscus Tea

Hibiscuses will create a reddish-pink tea that will help lower blood pressure and cholesterol as well as lower stress and gives an overall boost your immune system. Other benefits include the promotion of healthy weight loss, less menstrual pain, and improves digestion.

2. Rooibos Tea

Rooibos tea does not contain any caffeine so if you need a break from all that, this is a healthy alternative. This tea is rumored to improve bone and heart health and is also good for the skin to give you a more radiant appearance over time.

3. Blackberry Tea

Blackberry tea helps with digestion and promotes a healthy circulatory system. Along with Rooibos, blackberry tea will also boost your skin and immune system. It’s also good for a great energy boost.

4. Winter Melon Tea

Winter Melon tea is known for its vitamin content, along with its ability to help eliminate stress and excess weight. Rumored to help prevent several types of cancers, Winter Melon tea helps remove carcinogens and other pollutants from the body.

5. Ginger Tea

Ginger tea is especially good if you have a sensitive stomach or food allergies. Ginger naturally helps eliminate nausea. Not only that, but Ginger tea is also good for menstrual pains and morning sickness during pregnancy. It also contains high levels of Vitamin C.

Explore which teas work for you! Discover what tastes you like. Do you like a spicy, warm taste or a sweet, fruity taste? It doesn’t have to all be about the benefits but just know that while you’re enjoying a delicious beverage, your body will be thanking you. 

Reena Khan

Stony Brook

Name: Reena Khan Year: Senior Major: English with Journalism Minor Hometown: Valley Stream, NY What does being on the Her Campus Stony Brook team mean to you?: I can work with a community of beautiful and diverse women to share our stories, raise our voices, and bring each other together through writing. HerCampus represents the unification of women and there's nothing I appreciate more! Where do you want to be in 5 years? Hopefully living somewhere tropical with a beautiful, big family! Why are you proud to be a Seawolf?: Being a Seawolf means that I'm a part of something much bigger than myself and that I have a purpose and duty to my college community. 
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor