This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Having braces at my age is a hassle. The experience consists of frequent orthodontist appointments and missing out on weekend life because of it. College is full of inconveniences, but braces shouldn’t be one of them. They’re irritating to deal with and here’s why.

1. Everyone automatically thinks you’re a freshman.

Braces make you look younger than you actually are. I am currently a sophomore and there have been countless times when people assumed I was a freshman. Friends have even said I could pass off as a high school student and I don’t know how to feel about that.

2. Orthodontist appointments are inconvenient.

I have to go to my orthodontist every month. I wouldn’t be complaining if I went to college in the city, but I live on-campus and my orthodontist is all the way in the Bronx. That’s a three-hour commute for a 10-minute tightening sesh. How fun.

3. You are over conscientious of showing them.

Not a lot of people in college have braces. Every time I’m in a situation where I have to talk or smile, I feel like people are staring at them. It’s definitely not a big of a deal as I make it out to be, but it’s easy to feel like the odd one out.

4. It’s straight up uncomfortable.

After an ortho appointment, my teeth are left sore and tight. It’s not a great feeling and I’m left grinding my teeth because of how uncomfortable it feels. The most frustrating times are when I can’t chew or eat certain foods. It sucks.​

5. You have no idea when they’re going to come off.

When I first got my braces on, my ortho told me they would be off in six months. It’s been a year and a half. What’s the truth here, doc? At this rate, I’ll have braces ‘til I graduate.​

To my fellow peers who have to deal with the nuisances that come with braces, I commend you. I hope that your orthodontist is just as empathetic and hurries up this painful, annoying process. I know the struggle and am praying that 2018 will be the year that I will be brace-free.

All gifs courtesy of giphy.com

Junior Health Science Major
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor