Global Citizen Festival 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

This past Saturday, on September 24, 2016, was the 5th anniversary of the Global Citizen Festival hosted in Central Park. Despite the incredible lineup for this year, the festival supports a great cause and is an inspiration to all. I was lucky enough to attend this event and really absorb excellent music while learning a thing or two about the world. Gathering over 60,000 people from all around the world, the Global Citizen festival funds a great charitable cause which brings awareness to international and domestic issues. Established in 2012, the annual music festival is currently directed by the lead singer of Coldplay, Chris Martin. This major event continues to spread the efforts to end extreme poverty. In addition, global issues such as education, gender and race equality were touched upon as well.

The lineup of performers and guests were definitely not random at all, as each and every person there had a cause they believed in strongly. Inspiring viewers and fans, their emotional performances really sent a powerful message to the thousands in the crowd, and the millions watching at home. This year’s lineup consisted of Demi Lovato, Major Lazer, Metallica, Kendrick Lamar, and the Ambassador of Global Citizen, the one and only, Rihanna. Special guests included Chris Martin, Eddie Vedder, Usher, Ellie Goulding, Yandel, and Yusuf/Cat Stevens. In addition to that amazing lineup of performers, special hosts such as Chelsea Handler, Deborra-Lee, Hugh Jackman, Neil Patrick Harris, Priyanka Chopra, Salma Hayek Pinault and Seth Meyers were present as well. Performers from the previous years include Beyonce, Jay-Z, Foo Fighters, Alicia Keys, Ed Sheeran and many more talented artists. I can personally say that I definitely went to the festival for Kendrick Lamar, Metallica, and Rihanna, as all three artists rocked the 60,000 person crowd in Central Park. Rihanna, as Ambassador of Global Citizen, touched the hearts of everyone watching with her soulful spirit as she addressed gender equality, race and poverty, inspiring all to make a difference in the world.

Unlike any other concert I’ve been to, this crowd was definitely the most diverse. People of all ages, races, genders and social class were present. It was beautiful to see such different people getting along and just enjoying each other’s presence. Demi fans, Kendrick fans, Rihanna fans, Metallica fans. So many people brought together to support the bigger picture; being “Global Citizens.”

Dorothy Mai

Stony Brook '19

President/Editor-in-Chief
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor