This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

When I ask my friends about online dating advice the first thing everyone says is “meet in public.” Let’s face it, as women, we are always aware that we have to be aware when it comes to dating, especially online dating, however, no one expects danger on the produce aisle. Please note spoilers are ahead.

In Fresh written by Lauryn Kahn and directed by Mimi Cave, Noa (Daisy Edgar-Jones), who is all too familiar with online dating ends up meeting Steve (Sebastian Stan) not from online dating as she tends to do but at the supermarket when Steve admits to buying Cotton Candy grapes for his unnamed 4-year-old niece and sister. I mean how adorable is that? Sounds too good to be true; doesn’t it? Well, it is. She ends up seeing him twice, once more in a public place and then secondly in a private dinner before she agrees to go away with him for what was supposed to be just a weekend. Noa only tells one person about the trip: her best friend, Molly (Jojo T. Gibbs) who follows her gut and turns herself into a modern-day Colombo, taking it upon herself to investigate. This leads the audience down a few rabbit holes of ideas about what could be going on. In the end, Noa instigates the escape, saving not just herself but Molly and another victim. In fact, they all help each other.

The tone of the movie is beautifully handled. It takes a serious subject about the dangers of dating and finding strength when you think all is lost – and complement it with some brilliantly-written humor.

Sebastian Stan has had around 10 years of experience playing a psychotic character (Bucky Barnes/The Winter Soldier) but it is made clear why he has never had to dance before- I feel like I have to warn you that the dancing can be seriously disturbing but not always. (He did post his unique dance audition on his Instagram). Sebastian puts an air of charm on a two-faced character. If it wasn’t for trailers, you’d have no idea what was coming.

Noa decides to take advantage of everything in the name of survival. When all is revealed we learn that Steve isn’t the mastermind but in charge of a few things, as well as being a butcher of a plastic surgeon. While there are some unanswered questions such as what, if anything does Steve’s wife’s missing foot have to do with anything or if it is simply a red herring the ending shows that just because you get yourself into a bad situation, doesn’t mean it’s the end. She does what she needs to do and ends up saving more than just herself with the message that even if you end up bloody, bruised, and/or maimed you can still survive and that it is NEVER your fault. It’s always theirs.

I love writing about beauty, entertainment, fashion and accessories and more. I love musicals, singing, movies and all things beauty including hair! I've acted in movies, sung opera and won pageants. I also write fiction and many of my stories have been featured in anthologies.