Forces to Be Reckoned With

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Martin Luther King Jr. once said, “I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen’s Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to “order” than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says “I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can’t agree with your methods of direct action;” who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man’s freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a “more convenient season.”

The people who have always been the innovators and the world-changers are people who have never been afraid to spark important conversations and could not be content with their current world. Especially today, when many believe that the problems from yesterday are gone and activists are simply speaking into the air, because all the problems in the world have magically be solved. Perhaps even more frustrating are the people who have become too complacent with things even though they know they are not right.

Here is a list of my favorite activists for all sorts of issues. 

1. Zendaya

Photo courtesy of Zendaya’s Instagram

Zendaya is equal parts talented and passionate. She uses her platform to inspire the next generation. She once told a story where she got in trouble by her parents for not standing up for a girl who got bullied in her school. She uses this story as a reason as to why she feels she has to speak up about certain issues. She talks about a wide range of issues from Black Lives Matter to women’s rights to representation in the media. She mentions that one of the reasons she stayed on Disney Channel for her show “K.C. Undercover” was for children to be able to see a black family portrayed on television. She continues to be a voice for the voiceless on and off the screen.

2. Jackie Aina

Gif courtesy of Mic

I feel like many would consider calling Jackie Aina an activist a bit of a stretch, but I feel as though she deserves the title. Jackie Aina is known for talking about the need for inclusivity in makeup. She has consistently called out brands and companies for not making shades for darker skin tones, which has led to certain companies taking her off their PR lists and excluding her from opportunities. However, Jackie has been able to work with many brands and inspire them to expand their complexion products. She is currently working with the company Too Faced to expand their complexion products. Not only does she discuss the importance of inclusivity in makeup, she has also tackled issues like culturally appropriation in her video called, “Marc Jacobs You Tried It”, and the dangers of color-blindness in her video called “I Don’t See Color”. Jackie could just shut up and review makeup, but she chooses to use her platform to address issues and make positive change.

3. Yara Shahidi

Gif courtesy of the Huffington Post

Yara Shahidi, I personally believe, is a force to be reckoned with. Already having a large platform at the age of 18, Yara Shahidi is extremely well-informed in politics and social justice. She is mostly known for her role on the show “Black-ish” and her new show “Grown-ish” on Freeform. This year she started a voting initiative called Eighteen X’18 which would encourage young people to vote in midterm elections, she has worked with Michelle Obama on her “Let Girls’ Learn” Initiative, and she plans to attend Harvard University after she takes a gap year. She is a dedicated activist and has put in massive effort to improve the lives of so many people.

4. Parkland Shooting Survivors

In Parkland, Florida, 17 people were killed when an ex-student opened fire on people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, and now the survivors are striking back, confronting politicians and even organizations as big as the NRA. One of the survivors, Cameron Kasky, went on to challenge a Marco Rubio at the CNN Town Hall to put pressure on him to story taking money from the NRA. Emma Gonzalez screamed, “We call BS!” at an anti-gun rally. “Stop blaming the victims for something that was the shooters fault”, she went on to say for people who criticized the kids in school and the people of Parkland who did everything they could to stop this kid. These teenagers are not resting until we have stricter gun laws to protect the American people.

5. Jade Capua, Alexis Moore, Olivia Cowan, Bethany Bauman, Kate Mahon, Madeleine Jones, Aly Raisman, Rachel Denhollander, and 152 More Brave Souls

Photo courtesy of USA Today

“Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned,” is what Larry Nassar said in his letter to the judge after being sentenced to pretty much life in prison. In his last attempt to insult and discredit the 160 victims who he abused for years, Larry Nassar was sentenced to jail. Larry Nassar was convicted of assaulting the women of USA Gymnastics at ages as young as 13.

These people, no matter how diverse and varying, are all using their voices to help and improve the lives of individuals in this country. They span from young to old and all support and push issues close to their hearts to make the world a better place. They do not deserve to be silenced or misheard, and may their actions have positive effects on the coming world

Name: Brittany Dixon Year: Freshman Major: Biology Hometown: Jamaica, NY
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor