Exposed Rocks with Robyn: Review of Every Young Adult Novel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Page two hundred of Young Adult Novel seems to turn itself as protagonist, Timid White Girl, finally tells off Offensive Other White Girl for being offensive, with the help/occasional yelling of “Okay! I see you!” from her best friend, Sassy Black Girl. Told in diary form, Young Adult Novel is unique in its ability to showcase Timid White Girl’s inner thoughts, as well as her inner strength, by way of the author, Has Really Racist Tweets If You Scroll Back Far Enough’s diction and tone, depicting Timid White Girl as perpetually angry and insulting in such a quirky way about all the bullies of her high school, Name of Obvious Confederate General High School.

Notable critic, White Man, raves about Young Adult Novel and of its “ability to highlight beauty in places beyond your typical sorority recruits,” describing the book’s special way of empowering young women everywhere by attempting to tear down other women. Man says that the novel touched him personally, and should touch men everywhere, explaining that “nothing’s sexier than a strong woman.” His favorite part of the novel, as he writes in his review, “I’ve Never Been In An Adult Relationship,” is after Timid White Girl “finds her voice” and yells to her classroom teacher that she’s bringing her backpack to the bathroom because she’s “on [her] fucking period” and asks if he “[has] a problem with that?” White Man claims that this scene is integral to Timid White Girl’s character development, illustrating her acceptance of herself as a True Feminist who must scream her womanhood in male faces, or she will disappear.

Main character, Timid White Girl, finds her own strength in her discovery that she despises her mother’s role as a mother, and uses every available opportunity to let her mother know she will never have children. Mothers everywhere, upon reading this novel, have responded while stirring a pot of pasta, agreeing that they hate their lives and are so glad authors are moving towards insulting women’s choices to utilize their fertility to bring life into the world. One woman, Not A Mother, commented, “The only way to increase acceptance of contraception and other women’s rights is to destroy any semblance to the nuclear home. All real feminists consider it disgusting to want to have children anyways.” Since her interview, Not A Mother has been awarded “Most Likely To Get Escorted Out Of A Kohl’s For Inventing A Problem” by the entire world.

Not only a favorite amongst the older population of book worms, but Young Adult Novel is widely coveted by college and high school students. Denim Overall Dress, a first semester freshman from Any College, explains her love of the book, “It’s everything I’ve been waiting for- finally a main character who is isn’t just white, but has brown eyes! No one ever writes about girls like me who just aren’t like other girls.” Denim Overall Dress continues to express her gratitude to Has Really Racist Tweets If You Scroll Back Far Enough, for making Timid White Girl’s inner voice constantly aggressive with a large vocabulary, and “more like a boy than a girl.”

Young Adult Novel’s audience, as shown by a survey of readers from a local high school, are not simply smitten by the screamy nature of its protagonists. However, a good 75% of high school readers had marked to be extremely happy with the incredibly descriptive sex scene that ends the novel, with many commenting that it was “all they really wanted for Timid White Girl to accomplish” since the immediate introduction of her true love, White Boy Who Only Ever Wears Black Vans With White Socks And Has His Keys Attached To His Belt Loop And Plays Guitar In His Basement And Only His Basement But, Like, You Know He Plays Guitar Because Sometimes He Records Downward Angled Snapchat Stories Using His Toe While He Plays Weezer.

A winner among all age groups and genders, Young Adult Novel is certain to become the book of the year. Go out and grab your copy now, before you miss your chance to discuss your own personal fetishization of women who have to scream to be listened to, and if you’re a cisgendered white male: your absolutely detrimental opinion that will determine whether or not feminism continues to exist in novels.

Robyn Duncan is a current junior at Stony Brook University. She studies English and is a member of the English Honors Program. She has been a writer for Her Campus for the last two years. She is passionate about her homemade cold brew, her pitbull named Cass, as well as writing and flower arranging.
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor