An Exhaustive List of Irrational College Pet Peeves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Don’t get me wrong, I love attending Stony Brook, and all that it has to offer. However, after attending for over three years now, I feel like I have learned everything about this school. I have become aware of its resources, but also its flaws. Of course, I have built up an exhaustive list of pet peeves and things that bother me about Stony Brook or college in general. You can decide if they are irrational, or if you feel that exact same way. I should make this clear that, half of the things on the list I do myself. But let’s ignore that because it’s only okay when I do it right?

When people take their shoes AND socks off in the library.

People who take up a whole table that fits 4 people for 1 person. Yes, I know you might be waiting for your friends to show up, but from my point of view… its annoying. But the early bird gets the worm, so I can’t complain. I will just pout in my mind.

When people cut the two hour Starbucks line in the library (Also guilty as charged).

When someone prints a whole textbook at a Sinc site during campus lifetime. Just when you think they are finished printing; a whole new set of papers start printing. The worst is when you literally just need to print one page.

Those people who insist on selling you Paintball tickets in Javits 100. It sounds cool but ask me after my biochem lecture.

Those red chairs at the SAC. Seriously? Who thought those chairs were a good idea?   WHO wanted THOSE RED CHAIRS? They are too heavy and every time I sit in those chairs I feel like they are about to break.

Those squeaky chairs at Javits Lecture Hall. It doesn’t help during an exam when 56 students are moving in their squeaky chairs at the same time.

The SAC doors being locked and taped off every time there is like two inches of snow?

And why is there Geese poop everywhere? Everytime I walk past Roth Pond, I feel like I’m dodging landmines.

Why is one Stony Brook sweatshirt $1000? (And that’s the sale price)?

And please just let me bring my Starbucks iced caramel macchiato into North library without having to smuggle it in. I promise I’ll be careful.

When is the Dunkin Donuts going to open in the SAC? “Coming soon”…sure.

There is no bathroom at South P. I feel like there should be one there. That is all.

Oh, and why is the SAC bathroom the worst smelling bathroom ever. I’d rather walk to Frey. Also, the bathroom outside North Library… barf. Cannot complain about the Wang center bathrooms though.

The Physics building is 100 light years away. Why is my English class in the physics building anyway?

Group projects…

Lastly, why is the Harriman door SO HEAVY?!?

In reality, I don’t go around complaining about these minor annoyances every day, but I would be lying to say that they haven’t crossed my mind. If I am having a bad day on campus, I definitely tend to be bothered more easily, and I am sure my list will continue during my last year on campus. I know I cannot be the only student on campus who has thought these at some point. What are some of your college pet peeves?

Suzanne Tawch

Stony Brook '20

Pre-Med. Things I like: coffee, Netflix, That 70's Show, memes. Things I don't like: Mondays, Youtube Ads, pineapple on pizza.
Forever in search of the next fashion trend and my delicious next meal.  Inspired by Blake Lively, Cardi B and Ina Garten. In love with food, fashion and long car rides. Not a fan of ketchup, sunburns and the smell of fresh cut grass