Style > Beauty

Everything You Need to Know About the ‘It’ Beauty Product of the Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

CBD is the ‘it’ skin product of the year. It is in everything from roll-ons to toothpaste and cookies.  However, navigating the various product can be difficult and it is also difficult to know what has actual CBD or just cannabis sativa seed. I listed some of the best products for CBD I have found as well as an interview with Standard Dose’s founder, Anthony Saniger, to give you some insight into the new popular beauty ingredient.

Saniger’s company is described as “a mind-body wellness brand dedicated to elevating health through mindfulness practices and thoroughly vetted CBD and plant-based products.”

What is the difference between CBD and Cannabis Sativa seed?

CBD is one of the 113 cannabinoids found in the cannabis plant, and it provides a wide range of benefits that include reduced inflammation, better sleep, relief from aches and pains, and lessened stress and anxiety. It works by binding to the internal receptors in the body’s endocannabinoid system. Cannabis sativa seed oil, on the other hand, is an oil that is cold-pressed from hemp seeds and does not contain CBD. Found frequently in beauty and health food shops, cannabis sativa seed oil can be used to soothe and calm skin or add nutritional benefit when used in cooking. Some of our products contain cannabis sativa seed oil alongside CBD, but this oil alone will not result in the same range of benefits. 

What are the different ways that taking CBD work, such as the Be Calm Capsules and the Healing Tea?

Different formats of CBD work for different needs, from topicals to edibles to transdermal patches and skincare. If you’re looking to find sustained relief from daily use of CBD (whether that’s for daily stress management or recurring pain or sleep problems), it’s best to take an ingestible format each day like a tincture or a capsule.

I know a lot of people use CBD for pain relief such as sore muscle or skin issues. There are face masks, lip products and body balms now. Can the CBD in the lip products give some sort of pain relief in addition to the skin healing properties?

CBD is a really powerful ingredient in lip products, as it works to calm, heal, and protect your lips. In a balm formulation, CBD can help heal chapped or cracked lips, and the anti-inflammatory properties will alleviate some soreness if your lips are especially chapped. 

What is CBD good for?

Some of the highlights include reducing inflammation, promoting restful sleep, relieving aches and pain, and lessening stress and anxiety. 

I know that sometimes CBD contains the slightest amount of THC. How does that affect the product or the results?

There are several different forms of CBD, including isolate, broad spectrum, and full spectrum. Full spectrum products contain the full range of plant cannabinoids, including levels of THC at or below the legal limit of 0.3%. Many people choose full spectrum to achieve an entourage effect, which means that all of the plant compounds interact with each other to maximize the benefits of CBD. An isolate product is one in which CBD is isolated completely from the other compounds (like our Standard Dose Tincture.) If you’re drug-tested for work or are looking to stay away from THC, look for an isolate or broad-spectrum product (CBD in which some plant-compounds remain except for THC.)

Do people have to monitor how many CBD products they use in a day? By that I mean can you overdose on CBD products such as using a body balm or cream and having tea and chocolate?

According to the National Institutes of Health, you cannot overdose from CBD, as cannabinoid receptors are not located in the brainstem areas. However, when you’re introducing CBD into your lifestyle, it’s best to start at a low dose and see how your body reacts. Everyone is different and finding your standard dose will take a little experimentation. 

So now that you know the benefits and different ways to incorporate CBD in your life, here are some CBD products for just about every category from lips to hair!

Sugar & Kush

This brand is just as colorful and full of fun as their name and cupcake logo suggests. This company makes CBD products such as cookies, bath bombs and oil that you can use under your tongue or in drinks as well as gummy bears.  Their tinctures have various flavors including vanilla, hazelnut, orange creamsicle and cotton candy. I absolutely love cotton candy. These tinctures are amazing; the cotton candy tastes just like candy! Many other companies just add flavors layering on top of the hemp taste. With Sugar & Kush there is little to no hemp taste leaving just the yummy cotton candy flavor that I am absolutely in love with. You can use it for cooking, shakes, and put it on ice cream. I put it on plain white toast to add some extra flavor. They also have gummy bears in various flavors. The gummy bears taste sweet with only a touch of the hemp taste. They also make CBD cookies in three flavors, Chocolate chip, Cookies and Cream, and snickerdoodle.. The edibles took them a while to perfect, but founder Laura Brenner explained that they wanted everyone to be able to enjoy their cookies. So, they offer keto CBD baked goods that are gluten free, low sugar and there are vegan options as well.

I love the chocolate chip cookies; they are absolutely delicious! It is no wonder why they have trouble keeping them in stock. Each box comes with 8 servings for an average of $30-$50 depending on amount of CBD you want in them.

They also have the ultimate self-care way to immerse yourself into CBD:  bathbombs! These also come in three different scents: vanilla cupcake, pink rose and lavender charcoal. 

CBD by Frontier is new brand. The have a plethora of CBD products not just for humans but animals as well. My favorite product of theirs is the roll-ons. They have some really great roll-ons made with broad spectrum hemp extract. The roll-ons have ingredients such as vitamin E in them and 750 mg of CBD. They have Calming, which is made with lavender,  Soothing which has Eucalyptus and Cooling, which has Peppermint. 

Beboe Therapies High Potency CBD Body Balm is an amazing balm. It works wonders on sore and achy muscles. It is soothing and non-irritating. 

Nomad cosmetics has palettes infused with hemp seed oil, which allow for a smoother application. Their most recent hemp seed oil products include two eyeshadow palettes. 

One set- Malibu Surf Shack  Palette,  has a cool mint green and a sand shimmer with corresponding brown matt colors while the other, Encinitas Surf Shack Palette is an all matt look with light pink, blue and corresponding browns. The browns in each palette is perfect for creases and contouring or even to swear all on their own or as liners. The shadows really do go on smoothly and blend well to create beautiful looks. The corresponding colors in each palette makes the overall look seem flawless and like you are a master makeup artist.  

‘Hello’ recently came out with CBD products for your lip and oral health. They are currently available at Ulta and you have a few different options to choose from: 

CBD Activated Charcoal Fluoride Free Toothpaste

CBD Tea Tree Oil Fluoride Free Toothpaste

CBD Activated Charcoal Soothing Mouthwash

CBD Vegan Lip Balm – Natural Sweet Mint Flavor

I gave the activated charcoal toothpaste and the sweet mint lip balm a try. I was very surprised that for both there was zero hemp taste. The toothpaste was just that- toothpaste. The lip balm was very hydrating, and the mint is a nice extra pop to it. 

I haven’t been able to find many CBD products for hair. I did come across Roots Professionals CBD Shampoo and Conditioner.  It did make my hair feel nice however, the product smelt horrific.  I did try repeatedly to contact customer service about it by email and social media, but I never got a response to see if it was supposed to smell the way it did. It took forever to wash the smell out of my hair. 

While I don’t know if my foul-smelling product were an anomaly to Roots Professionals, I hope that more companies begin to come out with CBD infused hair products.

In the meantime, I hope this list suits your needs if you want to experiment with this popular beauty trend.

I love writing about beauty, entertainment, fashion and accessories and more. I love musicals, singing, movies and all things beauty including hair! I've acted in movies, sung opera and won pageants. I also write fiction and many of my stories have been featured in anthologies.
Cece Cruz

Stony Brook '21

President/Editor-in-Chief here at the Her Campus Stony Brook Chapter! I joined Her Campus in Spring 2018 as a Junior Writer and I am currently majoring in Journalism with a minor in Political Science. My personality is somewhere between Rachel Green and Phoebe Buffay. I call that balance. In my free time you can find me doing... I'm a college student, if I appear to have any free time I'm probably procrastinating.