Election Hero Imagespng?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Election Hero Imagespng?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media
Style > Beauty

Eco-Friendly Beauty Products You Should Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

There are many ways to celebrate Earth Day. One thing that many people do is change their products, including beauty products to ones that are more sustainable for the environment. More often than not those products are better for you as well. So here is a list of products you should check out to make your routine more environmentally/earth friendly. 

Founded by dermatologist Dr. Tina Alster, the A method Protection Powder is a powdered sunscreen that is not only vegan but reef safe as well. The powder comes in seven different shades for a foundation that contains SPF 30. They also have a sunscreen powder with SPF 50. All eight come with a built in brush. The clear powder sunscreen doesn’t leave a white residue and I found it is great to use by itself or over makeup. The color sunscreen are great for giving that natural makeup look. 

Kinship’s Self Reflect Probiotic Moisturizing Sunscreen is paraben free and reef safe. While the sunscreen initially has a beige color out of the tube it dries clear while leaving a little luminescent look to your skin. It contains an SPF level of 32. They have two sizes, the original size is 1.75 oz and thejumbo one, 3.5 oz. It is available at Ulta and Kinship’s website

Body wash is a necessity, however a lot of plastic can be used to make those bottle. That is until now. Meet the body wash whose sachet dissolves with water leaving zero waste. 

CEO and Co-founder Cathryn Woodruff along with co-founders Julie Schott and Brian Bordainick (who are also co-founders of the Starface brand) are behind a new brand called Plus. Plus’s goal is reimagining personal care to provide solutions that are better for everyone including Earth. Their debut product is a body wash that just needs water. There are three versions: 1 cloud, which is unscented. 2 Waves (contains coconut, sea salt, jasmine) and 3 Summer, which has the scents of neroli, orange, lemon.

The body wash is a pH-balanced formula without SLS or SLES surfactants. Those are known ingredients that can cause skin irritation and/or allergies. The products also contain leaf, sweet almond oil, shea butter, and ferulic acid. They can be found at Cleanwith.plus

Neutrogena has found a way to make Micellar Cleansing Wipes both convenient and earth friendly as well with their new Micellar Cleansing Wipes biodegradable wipes! Their goal is to “do more for your skin with less waste” and they certainly achieved that! The cloths are home-compostable and are 100 percent plant based. 

Maria Nila, a vegan, cruelty-free hair care brand, has made a pledge to create a friendlier world and in doing so has created a number of products that are meant to serve a second life.

Their beauty bags are made out of 100 percent recycled PET bottles and their Eco Therapy Revive is certified by Ecocert.  To be certified by Ecocert there is a rigorous process but it is the most prestigious certification that sustainable beauty products can get. 

You can find out more about that here.

The products themselves are great for refreshing and deeply cleaning one’s hair. The shampoo can remove product build-up while the conditioner restores moisture to the hair and scalp as well as making your hair soft. The mask is great for helping with frizz and helping hair’s health. When it is used with the conditioner it makes hair unbelievably soft! They all have an amazing scent, but I noticed the pear and peach have a stronger scent. You can find out more about the Eco Therapy Revive series here and the Revive Beauty Bag as well as the other products/series here

Love and Pebbles is a brand new brand that is so revolutionary it sold out at Urban Outfitters faster than you can say Urban Outfitters! It is a skin mask on a stick. But not only is this brand popular it is sustainable. The product is a face mask pop made with ingredients known for their anti-inflammatory products such as pineapple and turmeric. However you make the pop yourself by mixing the powder with water, pouring it into the reusable pop container, inserting the stick placing it in the freezer. You can reuse the pop container (and stick) multiple times! In my opinion you get a lot more products than other brands AND you are being sustainable because everything is reusable. Plus the price is really friendly!

I hope this list encourages you to incorporate some new eco friendly products into your beauty routine!

I love writing about beauty, entertainment, fashion and accessories and more. I love musicals, singing, movies and all things beauty including hair! I've acted in movies, sung opera and won pageants. I also write fiction and many of my stories have been featured in anthologies.
Cece Cruz

Stony Brook '21

President/Editor-in-Chief here at the Her Campus Stony Brook Chapter! I joined Her Campus in Spring 2018 as a Junior Writer and I am currently majoring in Journalism with a minor in Political Science. My personality is somewhere between Rachel Green and Phoebe Buffay. I call that balance. In my free time you can find me doing... I'm a college student, if I appear to have any free time I'm probably procrastinating.