Consuming Ideas on a Budget in NYC: College Student Edition

In the ongoing pursuit to better ourselves as human beings, education has always been a key part of the conversation around developing young people into well-rounded and well-informed individuals. It is important to vary the ways in which we consume our information in order to keep us engaged by interacting with materials and ideas first-hand. Why simply discuss the impact of impressionism on the history of art when you can view Van Gogh’s Starry Night at the MoMA? Why simply read Shakespeare when you can watch it performed, as it was meant to be presented? Why limit yourself to textbooks about the history of global conflicts when you can see the direct impact of them in our current politics? 

As college students, we have a privilege in extending our education after high school. For those wishing to supplement their education beyond the classroom, affordability plays a huge factor in determining whether or not we have access to such supplemental educational experiences as publications like newspapers and magazines, museums, and performances. 

In this list, you will find a list of all museums within the five boroughs of New York City that offer free, pay-what-you-wish, or discounted rates for college students. Please note that in order to receive any discounts at a museum or performance, you must present a valid university ID. You will also find a list of theaters that offer discounted tickets and publications that offer discounted subscriptions to college students. Make the most of your time while on a campus near or in New York City by taking advantage of some of these great deals and discounts!

Museums 

Performances

Publication Subscriptions