Consuming Ideas on a Budget in NYC: College Student Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

In the ongoing pursuit to better ourselves as human beings, education has always been a key part of the conversation around developing young people into well-rounded and well-informed individuals. It is important to vary the ways in which we consume our information in order to keep us engaged by interacting with materials and ideas first-hand. Why simply discuss the impact of impressionism on the history of art when you can view Van Gogh’s Starry Night at the MoMA? Why simply read Shakespeare when you can watch it performed, as it was meant to be presented? Why limit yourself to textbooks about the history of global conflicts when you can see the direct impact of them in our current politics? 

As college students, we have a privilege in extending our education after high school. For those wishing to supplement their education beyond the classroom, affordability plays a huge factor in determining whether or not we have access to such supplemental educational experiences as publications like newspapers and magazines, museums, and performances. 

In this list, you will find a list of all museums within the five boroughs of New York City that offer free, pay-what-you-wish, or discounted rates for college students. Please note that in order to receive any discounts at a museum or performance, you must present a valid university ID. You will also find a list of theaters that offer discounted tickets and publications that offer discounted subscriptions to college students. Make the most of your time while on a campus near or in New York City by taking advantage of some of these great deals and discounts!

Museums 

Performances

Publication Subscriptions

Juliette Kimmins

Stony Brook '22

Hello! I am Juliette and I am a Campus Correspondent for Stony Brook Her Campus. I am going into my 4th year at SBU as a political science and journalism major with a women's, gender, and sexuality studies minor. My interests include film, art, politics, and knitting!
Cece Cruz

Stony Brook '21

President/Editor-in-Chief here at the Her Campus Stony Brook Chapter! I joined Her Campus in Spring 2018 as a Junior Writer and I am currently majoring in Journalism with a minor in Political Science. My personality is somewhere between Rachel Green and Phoebe Buffay. I call that balance. In my free time you can find me doing... I'm a college student, if I appear to have any free time I'm probably procrastinating.