Life > Experiences

Claiming Space: an Interview with Eliza VanCort

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Eliza VanCort is a speaker and communication coach. Author of A Woman’s Guide to Claiming Space, VanCort has a background in political science and performing arts. Her life experiences also position her quite well to offer personal and professional advice.

VanCort had been pursuing a law degree when on one rainy day she realized she was a red umbrella in a sea of black umbrellas. From then on, she sought to carve out a career path all her own. Her philosophy is that young people don’t have to be 100% certain about what they want and shouldn’t be afraid to be themselves and change their minds. 

Many of us have probably had a professor or boss call us out on something in front of our classmates or coworkers, especially if you have taken any performance classes. If so, you know how daunting it can be to try and understand what is going on. VanCort quoted Harvard Professor Sunn Mcheaux to “ask a question that demands accountability.” She adds that when doing this, it’s helpful to keep out of the situation. 

For instance, while Eliza said she is in a wonderful relationship now, that wasn’t always the case. Probing into her past, I asked her how can we as women identify a relationship that isn’t good, preferably as fast as we would recognize it in our friends’ relationships. She said, “If you find yourself asking your friends if you are right and going against your gut, get out now.”

I went one step further, asking what if someone finds themselves in a position where they had been seeing a coworker, and the relationship ended. She advised that it would be hard and going to suck but recommended that one keep boundaries in the workplace. Like many other celebrities, including Elizabeth Olsen, she believes in one of my favorite mantras: “No” is a one-word sentence. 

With COVID-19, many are turning to online dating. VanCort recommended having a video meeting before meeting in person. She also said to be honest with how you present yourself and not present an idea of yourself, which makes everything easier in the long run. When it doesn’t work out, she advises against ghosting but points out, “You are under no obligation to make the person feel better.”

Eliza had the following advice regarding summer internships and jobs: “One of the most important things to remember about a job interview is that, unfortunately, your qualifications are not usually what lands the job. Think about it this way: everyone who applies for a job is equally talented, or they wouldn’t be interviewed. So, ultimately they’re figuring out who they want to work with. Present with confidence, even if you’re feeling a little scared, and act like it was the best interview ever given even if you bomb it!”

In her book, Claiming Spaces, VanCort talks about emails, one of my favorite sections, so naturally, I brought this up in our conversation. When it comes to emails, younger generations are used to having their phones glued to their hands. They are immediately notified of any emails, which they often respond to promptly. However, VanCort says that isn’t necessary and suggests clumping emails together. 

“When you chunk your emails, people can figure out the answer before you get back to them, which can spare you from going back-and-forth with the needlessly. So, you approach this by choosing two or three dedicated times during the day to focus only on your emails. The rest of the time you turn off your notifications. You’ll save time and I believe it reduces anxiety – at least once you get used to it!”

A Woman’s Guide to Claiming Space contains a lot more advice than I can fit in this piece, including when and how you should apologize, something women far too often. Additionally, it can be read straight through or chapter by chapter depending on what advice you need in your life right now. 

Check it out here! VanCort’s Tik Tok is also informative, entertaining, and just plain fun. For even more information, check her website out!

I love writing about beauty, entertainment, fashion and accessories and more. I love musicals, singing, movies and all things beauty including hair! I've acted in movies, sung opera and won pageants. I also write fiction and many of my stories have been featured in anthologies.