This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Fall is my favorite season of the year. Last Fall, I was studying abroad in Spain and missed out on all of my favorite seasonal things to do. This year I have decided to create a bucket list so I don’t miss out on anything.

Upstate New York:

If you live on Long Island or in the city, taking a weekend or even a day trip upstate is a must this time of season. There are a plethora of exciting places to visit that you may not have heard about!

Apple Picking Upstate

Planning on baking apple pie this season? Make it super fresh by picking your own apples! The New Paltz/Poughkeepsie region has many apple picking sites to explore.

I recommend Hurds Family Farm in Modena, New York and Apple Hill Farm in New Paltz, New York (shown below).

Hiking

One of my favorite parts about fall is the changing of the leaves. That is why hiking is so enjoyable this time of year. I suggest visiting Minnewaska State Park Preserve in Kerhonkson, New York (shown below) or Eagle Cliff and Mohonk Lake Trail in New Paltz, New York. Woodstock, New York

I have been here multiple times; however, I love it so much I would plan to go back this Fall. In fact, the first time I visited Woodstock was during Fall. It is a quaint town, known for its music, ever since the Woodstock Music Festival of August 1969. Peruse the shops, visit a few galleries, and even take a hike a few miles away on Overlook MountainLong Island:

There will always be something to do this Fall on Long Island. Visit a pumpkin patch, take a trip to a winery, go hiking (if you are a Stony Brook student Brookhaven State Park is only 30 minutes away!).

Pumpkin Picking Out East

Fall is also the time for Halloween! And you know what that means: apple cider, pumpkins and corn mazes, just to name a few. Head out east on Long Island and you are bound to find places here and there. As a child I always went to Harbes Family Farm in Jamesport. They’ve got pumpkins, gourds, fresh fruit and vegetables, a corn maze and hayrides! 

Last but not least, what else could you do this Fall? Experiment with different pumpkin and apple inspired treats, grab a Pumpkin Spiced Latte from Starbucks and decorate caramel apples with friends.

Tiffany is a senior at Stony Brook University majoring in Business Management. She’s an avid chocolate lover, enjoys traveling, taking pictures and baking. One day she aspires to speak Spanish fluently.
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor