food snack popcorn movie theater 33129?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
food snack popcorn movie theater 33129?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

Black Movies Everyone Should Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

When it comes to the world of cinema, movies that feature an all black cast or black writers and directors are highly underrated. Below is a list containing five classic films that just happen to be “black movies.” These movies have transcended its time period and can be watched over and over again.

The Wiz

With a cast that includes Diana Ross, Michael Jackson, and Nipsey Russell, this movie was bound to be great. It brings more energy to the original story of The Wizard of Oz and the soundtrack will have you humming ‘ease on down, ease on down the road‘ for weeks.    

Do the Right Thing

When discussing black directors, Spike Lee is definitely a pioneer. His movies alone could complete the list, but for now the focus is on ‘Do the Right Thing.’ The message in this movie has exceeded its time period and it is relevant till this day.

Moonlight

And the Oscar goes to ‘La la…’ nope the Oscar goes to ‘Moonlight.’ There is a reason why this movie won best picture in 2017. The review of black male sexuality has opened a dialogue that is controversial and absolutely needed in the black community. 

Coming to America

Eddie Murphy is a comedic genius and his talent goes beyond standup. This film showcases Murphy’s ability to give life to multiple characters. There’s so much joy found in Prince Akeem’s (Murphy’s character) navigation through the foreign nation that is America.

Boyz N the Hood      

Although it may seem like a typical “hood” movie, ‘Boyz N the Hood’ is much more. John Singleton captured the essence of what it’s like living in an environment that wants you to fail, but you push through against all and defeat every obstacle on the way.

There are plenty of other honorable mentions that didn’t make the list but hopefully the movies above will peak your interest. Let these films be the starting point for all the other great black cinema there is to watch.   

Monei Green

Stony Brook '21

I am a journalism major at Stony Brook University My favorite episode of The Office is Stress Relief: Part 1 In my opinion, any sleeping period less than 3 hours is not considered a nap
Cece Cruz

Stony Brook '21

President/Editor-in-Chief here at the Her Campus Stony Brook Chapter! I joined Her Campus in Spring 2018 as a Junior Writer and I am currently majoring in Journalism with a minor in Political Science. My personality is somewhere between Rachel Green and Phoebe Buffay. I call that balance. In my free time you can find me doing... I'm a college student, if I appear to have any free time I'm probably procrastinating.