The Best Things About an Internet Friendship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

The internet is a vast place full of different people from all over the world. It’s easy to meet others who share the same interests as you over various social media platforms or online games. As you start to communicate more, after you’re sure you’re not being catfished, a friendship develops with this person you only know through a screen. It’s a new form of social interaction, but when you find a connection stronger than your WiFi, the best things about internet friends will be revealed.

They support you at all times.

A friend you meet online should be supportive of you, as this will be your main reason for staying friends. Whenever you need them, they are just a text or call away. It can be easier to maintain a friendship because you don’t have to physically hang out, and texting or video-chatting is easier than planning get-togethers. A video-chat can make you feel like you are together though you may be thousands of miles away. Time zones can get tricky, but for the most part, your online friend will be there for you at any time.

You’re comfortable talking with them.

Internet friends are separate from real life friends in that they don’t know anyone in your life. You are free to tell them all about the people you know from school, work, and your community, without fear of them spreading rumors or having preconceived judgments. They can give honest opinions and advice for troubles you encounter. It also feels more comfortable telling them the crazy or weird stuff that happens to you because it is removed from the physical world and farther from your image.

They may be just like you.

It can be difficult to find someone who has similar, or all of the same exact interests as you in real life. Through the web, finding a friend through posts about your favorite bands, artists, movies, hobbies and more can be easier as the information they want to broadcast about themselves is already on display. Bonding over these likenesses can bring you closer to your internet friend, and give you someone to talk with about the things you like but none of your friends at home do.

You can learn about other cultures.          

Since the internet is full of people from all kinds of backgrounds, the chance of you meeting someone with a culture different from yours is extremely strong. Through a friendship with this person, you can learn all about a country, religion, lifestyle or culture you previously knew nothing of. This allows for development of worldly awareness. 

You can eventually meet them in person.

The best part of having a friend from the web is when you finally get to meet them in person. This could be years after you originally met online. It may feel as if you already knew them the whole time when you meet up because of how often you communicate. Seeing their physical being and giving them a hug will be a new experience you won’t want to forget.

Internet friendships are so great because two people from completely different backgrounds can come together over a common thread. If an internet friendship sounds like something you would like, you should log onto your favorite websites and start to make new friends!

Julie Truncali

Stony Brook '21

Stony Brook University Class of 2021 Civil Engineering Major New York Farm Girl
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor