Style > Fashion

Best Halloween Costumes I’ve Seen This Halloweekend

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Every year, Halloween costumes get more and more creative. We see new ideas that reflect the current trends and media during the year, as well as new takes on old costumes and characters. After going to a Halloween party in the heart of NYC this weekend, I’m going to tell you some of the best and most creative costumes I’ve seen, in no particular order!

1. sailor

Such a cute and simple costume that is preppy and comfortable! This costume can be made into a couple’s costume where one of you is the captain of a ship, while the other is a sailor! It can also be paired with the cute Spongebob-esque Instagram Caption of “aye aye captain!” I will definitely keep this costume in mind for next year’s Halloween.

2. Cleopatra

What an extravagant costume! So many gold accessories can be added to this costume to accentuate this costume. Perfect for those of you with short hair or black hair! Perfect costume for beautiful women of color as well. This costume can also be DIY’ed with gold, black, or white clothing! The makeup is also an outlet for creativity with this costume. This is a great opportunity to experiment with bold eyeliner and gold detailing.

3. Lana Del rey

A talented beauty, who wouldn’t want to dress up as Lana from this stellar album. The part that sells this “Lust for Life” costume is the adorable daisies that are to be dispersed in your hair. I’ve seen TikToks where people would use hot glue to attach these fake flowers to hair clips to be attached in the hair. A dreamy white dress with lacy detailing would complete this look. A very easy costume to DIY and will certainly depict your great taste in music!

4. Corpse Bride

One of my top favorite costumes every single year. Corpse Bride is a timeless costume that will never outgrow its beauty. The makeup is really what sells this costume. The Tim Burton makeup that exaggerates hollow cheekbones, washes out the face, and rounds out the eyes are really the core factors in this makeup. Oh, and the blue skin and hair, of course! I have seen people DIY this costume, which takes a lot of dedication but allows for much more personalization. This costume has so many components and will certainly draw all eyes to you!

5. Snow Angel

Last but not least, my costume for this Halloweekend! I decided to go as a snow angel because it was something I’ve never seen someone dress up as. I wanted to do something cute and also cozy so that I would be warm. I decided to DIY the costume by buying a fluffy white two-piece, a fluffy headpiece, and fluffy leg warmers with fluffy white gloves. I topped it off with cold-girl makeup, coupled with flushed red cheeks and icy eyeshadow. I got plenty of compliments at the parties that I went to, and people stopped me on the street to tell me how great it looked! The pictures also came out so cute, it was truly giving Y2K! I’m so glad I went with this, and I’m proud of myself for curating it all by myself.

I hope you enjoyed my list of costumes, and maybe even snagged some ideas for your future costumes as well! All the costumes I saw were so unique and each person sold it in their own way. People also added accessories and makeup to elevate the costume in an even better way. There was so much to see this weekend in NYC and I hope to see even cooler costumes next year. Happy Halloween!

Ria Roy

Stony Brook '24

Ria Roy is a senior at Stony Brook University pursuing a Health Science degree on the pre-med track. She enjoys dancing, posting on social media, journaling, writing poetry, and listening to music in her free time. Follow her on Instagram at @riaroyyy