Style > Fashion

Behind the Design of Lisa Frank and Loungefly’s collab: A Q&A with Liz DeSilva Sr. VP of Loungefly Creative

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

I’m one of those people who loves to change the bags with seasons but I wanted something that really popped. And you can’t get more pop than a bag that is 3D. In fact, almost all of Loungefly’s designs with Lisa Frank have some sort of 3D component. They aren’t your run-of-the-mill purses or backpacks you can find at your local Target. They have bright colors and many contain Lisa Frank characters such as their baby cheetah and dolphins. I wanted to know how these out-of-the-box designs came about and I was able to ask Liz DeSilva, who is the Sr. Vice President of Creative, Innovation, and Vision.

Q: How did the Lisa Frank collaboration come about?
A: Lisa Frank was my personal childhood favorite and she created so many products that were coveted by our core customers during their elementary school years. My partner Derrick and I had worked with Lisa in the past on Hot Topic collections and a Lisa Frank x Spongebob collab so we have developed a great working relationship with her. When we came to Loungefly, it was a no-brainer to reach out to Lisa about working together again!

Q: How do you decide which Lisa Frank characters to use in the collections?
A; We work closely with Lisa and her team on which characters resonate the most with her fans and where we should focus. We also take into account which characters make the most sense for the materials and bag styles we plan to design into.

Q: How is it decided what attributes stick out from the bags/backpack?
A: We always look to innovate and find or develop new materials, trims, and embellishments. We also aim to choose things that organically fit with the property or character we are designing into. With Lisa Frank for example we look for colorful, holographic and bold touches that pay tribute to the fan favorite products of Lisa Frank.

Q: How do you decide what to put on bags vs backpacks vs other items?
A: It just depends on what we are going for. Sometimes we want a cleaner, more elevated look, and sometimes we want to pack all the storytelling we can into a style! Depending on what we are trying to achieve, we choose bag or backpack silhouettes that work with the concept.

Q: When do you plan for the entire line to be released or will it be ongoing?
A: Our partnership with Lisa Frank includes multiple collections dropping throughout the year!

Q: What were your favorite characters to design items around?
A: I am a personal fan of Panda Painter being an artist myself and that specific design allowed us to play with great mixed materials. I also really love anything with unicorns and rainbows!

Q: Do you plan on including all of the Lisa Frank named characters in the line, or will some of them be left out? If the latter, how do you decide?
A: Some ideas allow us to incorporate multiple characters whereas some designs are focused around only one. We will do our best and attempt to get everyone’s favorite in the collections!!

Q: You have certain things like glow in the dark — do you have any other Easter egg designs on any other items if so which ones?

A: We try to have easter eggs and fan details in all the bags so pay close attention to zipper pulls, back hits, and linings — they are always a fun surprise!

There are many things that make these items stand out. They have different focuses.

There is a myriad of different designs including all the characters that Lisa Frank fans love, but they are also perfect for animal lovers such as unicorns, golden retrievers, dolphins, and a leopard, and even the fantastical such as unicorns just to name a few. But Some of the designs are more subdued than other for instance this new backpack is white with Lisa Frank’s logo however it does come with a detachable waist bag. They constantly have new styles coming out. You can check them out here

Spring is here and with it comes bright colors sunshine and rainbow, just like the ones I saw in Loungefly’s collaboration with Lisa Frank.

I’m one of those people who loves to change the bags with seasons but I wanted something that really popped…. And you can’t get more pop than a bag that is 3D. In fact, almost all of Loungefly’s designs with Lisa Frank have some sort of 3D component. They aren’t your run-of-the-mill purses or backpacks you can find at your local Target. They have bright colors and many contain Lisa Frank characters such as their baby cheetah and dolphins. I wanted to know how these out-of-the-box designs came about and I was able to ask Liz DeSilva, who is the Sr. Vice President of Creative at Loungefly just that.

A: Lisa Frank was my personal childhood favorite and she created so many products that were coveted by our core customers during their elementary school years. My partner Derrick and I had worked with Lisa in the past on Hot Topic collections and a Lisa Frank x Spongebob collab so we have developed a great working relationship with her. When we came to Loungefly, it was a no brainer to reach out to Lisa about working together again!

Q: How do you decide which Lisa Frank characters to use on the collections?
A; We work closely with Lisa and her team on which characters resonate the most with her fans and where we should focus. We also take into account which characters make the most sense for materials and bag styles we plan to design into.

A: We always look to innovate and find or develop new materials, trims and embellishments. We also aim to choose things that organically fit with the property or character we are designing into. With Lisa Frank for example we look for colorful, holographic and bold touches that pay tribute to the fan favorite products of Lisa Frank.

I love writing about beauty, entertainment, fashion and accessories and more. I love musicals, singing, movies and all things beauty including hair! I've acted in movies, sung opera and won pageants. I also write fiction and many of my stories have been featured in anthologies.