American Vandal: A Netflix Hidden Gem

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

After spending hours looking for a Netflix show to watch every night, I always just end up settling on a true-crime show. Repercussions of my obsession with these shows might include me psycho-analyzing everyone I come across but with the continuous release of true-crime documentary-series on Netflix my obsession keeps on growing. Recently, I came across this gem of a show called American Vandal. It’s defined as a mockumentary; a hysterical parody of true crime documentaries. 

It might seem like an immature take on real life serious crimes, but from the very first episode it gets you invested into the mystery of spray painted dicks. Yes, dicks. With perfectly timed penis jokes, impeccable commentary about the lives of generation z and consumption of social media and most importantly eye-opening lessons about our own beliefs and integrity; this spoof of a web series really is a gem. I spent hours trying to figure out who drew the dicks on the teacher’s cars and just when you think you know who it is, the amazing creators Dan Perrault and Tony Yacenda throw another twist at you. 

The series currently has two seasons, both with completely different stories and characters but still revolving around high school pranks. It takes you on a journey through the lives of each probable suspects yet at the end you feel emotionally attached and empathy for them. It’s filled with social and political connotation yet laugh out loud moments including the very reoccurring “I’d never forget the ball hairs, it’s such an important part of the dick”.  As you continue through the episodes, the story become equally familiar yet hilariously unconventional; a clear stray away from the usual murder mysteries. 

The show perfectly blends the grueling mystery and ethical questioning of true-crime genre with the lives of teenagers in a world where social media is a supreme force. Turning a spoof of conventional true crime stories into a convincing tale is one hell of a job, and the creators Dan and Tony did it flawlessly. So, if you’re wondering what to binge watch on Netflix this week, go grab some popcorn or your favorite snacks and hit play on American Vandal; I promise you it won’t disappoint!

Rushnan Islam

Stony Brook '20

Rushnan is currently a senior Biology major at Stony Brook University. She loves coffee, books, writing, and city-hopping (in that order)!
Cece Cruz

Stony Brook '21

President/Editor-in-Chief here at the Her Campus Stony Brook Chapter! I joined Her Campus in Spring 2018 as a Junior Writer and I am currently majoring in Journalism with a minor in Political Science. My personality is somewhere between Rachel Green and Phoebe Buffay. I call that balance. In my free time you can find me doing... I'm a college student, if I appear to have any free time I'm probably procrastinating.