This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Growing up and even now, I’ve pegged myself to be lucky. The women that have raised me were ones that inspired me to be the individual I take pride in today. My mother, who taught me that it is possible to give your heart away and change your ideals in the name of the people you love. She taught me what a young, petrified, 18-year-old woman could become—a fierce and bold mother of three children who gave them the chance to have their own dreams while giving up her own. She gave us the gift of education, choice, and most importantly, love. My mother is one of the most intelligent people I know and continue to learn from. She gave me life, but more importantly, she taught me how to live it. 

My sister is another woman that I consider myself unbelievably lucky to have had by my side whilst growing up. A second mom. A best friend. A confidant. My ride or die. I had the chance to have that as a child from a young girl who was learning about life herself. She has never stopped giving me the courage and honesty to confront my shortcomings, but also embrace the woman I am. Through her wisdom that she has shared and continues to, she teaches me how to be a resilient woman in the face of the challenges that seem insurmountable. Her unrelenting compassion and determination to be a better version of herself every day has been instilled inside of me. For that alone, I know that I wouldn’t be half the person I am today without her.

My friends; Sarah, Norma, Mina, and Ikra. Sarah, who is the embodiment that a woman can have it all, her ambitions and a life of adventure. Norma, who is the embodiment of resilience and what it means to embrace yourself with no restraints in the name of your own happiness. Mina, who is the embodiment of forgiveness and loyalty that is pertinent to what it means to be an empowering woman. Ikra, who is the embodiment of breaking a glass ceiling, by choosing her passions over the words of those who encourage her to stay within the same boundaries from generations ago. Each of these women have come together with their unique and loving personalities to inspire, encourage, and mold me into a woman who aspires to embody each of these ideals.

I’ve had the opportunity to know different and yet soul-deep beautiful women who have only ever encouraged me. And I hope that each of you have had or have the opportunity to have women in your life who only ever desire the best from and of you. I hope that you surround yourself with women that have different perspectives, personalities, and perfections from yourself because once you realize that you have so much you can learn and in return, inspire, it truly is a fulfilling experience.

To each of these women in my life and the ones that I haven’t spoken of, I am beyond grateful and blessed.

You have taught me what it means to be a woman.

Raifa Chowdhury is an undergraduate at Stony Brook University, originally from Brooklyn, New York. She is currently double majoring in English and Psychology; her passion is to pursue a career in writing and international law. In her spare time, Raifa looks for adventures by either getting lost in the streets of New York or her collection of books. She is a daydreamer of wonderlands and has the impulsive need to write poetry and stories whenever she can. You can always find her reading a novel or furiously typing on her laptop with iced coffee nearby.
Dorothy Mai

Stony Brook '19

President/Editor-in-Chief