Advice for Humanities Majors at STEM Schools

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

It’s no secret that Stony Brook is a school focused on STEM. The majority of the students here at SBU, and most of the funding goes toward the sciences, engineering, medicine, and related subjects. It can be easy to get discouraged when the humanities receive cuts in funding, or when everyone you meet is majoring in biology or computer science. So, what is a humanities major to do? Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your degree here at SBU, or if you’re from another STEM school, this advice also applies. 

Do extra reading

The basis of any humanities degree, whether it be literature, history or sociology, is reading. This can take the form of papers, books, articles, etc. – if you’re reading this, you likely know what it’s like to have to get dozens of pages of reading done in a matter of days. But if you want to get more out of your degree, and increase your scope of knowledge on your major of choice, do extra readings. This can take many forms. If one of your readings comes from a larger piece of work, see if it’s accessible to read or buy online. If you plan on writing a thesis or getting a graduate degree in your major, you’ll be far ahead of anyone in your major who just did the bare minimum. Your extra knowledge will show in any applications to graduate degree programs. And you might come across topics for any future research, or theses you may want to write. 

Choose the right classes and/or minor

If you’re choosing classes that aren’t required for your major, think about how the topic can help you with your personal or professional  goals or how it might it relate to your major and expand your knowledge on it. The same logic applies to any minor you may decide on. For example, if you’re a history major who plans on becoming a teacher, a class on childhood psychological development would be more useful than a political science class. 

Get close to your professors 

Every college student has heard this piece of advice at least once, but it holds true even more so for humanities majors. Your professors may have connections or knowledge about research, internship, or job opportunities in your field. And for humanities majors, these are less numerous and more competitive, so forming a relationship with your professors becomes all the more important. Of course, you should also ask questions about the class material and participate in every class. If there’s something in a reading you’re unsure about, go to office hours and ask about it. And don’t be afraid to ask for reading recommendations from your professors! This will show them that you take a genuine interest in the topic, and they’ll gain more respect for you as a student and be more likely to recommend you for any opportunities they might come across. 

Surround yourself with people with similar interests 

If you can. Make friends with people who are in your major or who are in a closely related one. You’ll be better able to relate to and help one another, you can bounce ideas off one another, etc. This also means getting in any clubs or student organizations which relate to your major. A friend in your major is invaluable, they know exactly what you’re going through, can discuss your coursework with you, and are better equipped to give you help or advice on assignments. These people are also more likely to know about connections, graduate programs, fellowships, etc.  in your field that can help you get a job after you graduate. 

Don’t listen to the critics

As a humanities major, you have likely faced criticism of your academic choices, from family, from friends, maybe even from near strangers. There is only one way to deal with this, simply don’t listen to the critics. It can be difficult , but if you know your major is right for you, and you enjoy the subject you’re studying, you have no reason to listen to those who have a negative view of your major. If anything, you can use the naysayers to motivate you to work harder so you can prove these people wrong. 

What to keep in mind

Those who are successful in the humanities fields (or any field)  are those who take initiative. Don’t let the prospect of jobs after college or fear of failure keep you from doing what’s necessary to achieve your goals. If you are willing to take control of your education and lay the groundwork for your future career, it will make your life after graduation that much easier. 

Don’t be intimidated by scary statistics about the “plight of the unemployed humanities major.” Be confident in yourself and in your love for your major. And it sounds cheesy but believe in yourself. Believe in your intelligence, in your abilities. The more work you put in, the more confident you’ll be, and the more opportunities will come your way. From one humanities major to another, I wish you good luck. 

Ebony Thompson

Stony Brook '22

Hi! My name is Ebony Thompson and I’m an English major at Stony Brook University. My interests are mental health, books and creative writing, and pop culture. You can follow me on Instagram at @ebony.mt.
Cece Cruz

Stony Brook '21

President/Editor-in-Chief here at the Her Campus Stony Brook Chapter! I joined Her Campus in Spring 2018 as a Junior Writer and I am currently majoring in Journalism with a minor in Political Science. My personality is somewhere between Rachel Green and Phoebe Buffay. I call that balance. In my free time you can find me doing... I'm a college student, if I appear to have any free time I'm probably procrastinating.